Floyd Pro replaces Schaller Floyd?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Pro replaces Schaller Floyd?

Hello- I've got to replace a Schaller Floyd in a Jackson Fusion.
    Will a Floyd Rose "Pro" be an exact replacement fit for a Schaller- looks like it won't have the problem of the OFR as per the route. I want to make sure because I replaced the original base plate with a non Schaller and I have intonation problems. There's a "Pro" on ebay now that I'll try to get if it'll work. Thanks, Karl

Not sure. I think a couple people here said they had problems with them fitting JT590/Schaller and JT580LP routes. Also, I know the string spacing is different on the Floyd Pro version.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

A Floyd Rose II will be a perfect fit. It's the newer version of the JT590/Schaller FR. They have the short, stubby string lock screws... I prefer this trem over a OFR.
      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe
        A Floyd Rose II will be a perfect fit. It's the newer version of the JT590/Schaller FR. They have the short, stubby string lock screws... I prefer this trem over a OFR.

Ok, thanks guys. I let the Floyd Rose Pro go. I just missed a Floyd Rose II
        on ebay that went for $59 I think
        I'll keep my eye out for another one.
        thanks agian, karl

Comment

ok, so I've been searching on Floyd Rose II's and can't find any. I can find Schaller Floyds (Warmoth @$160 new), but can't find any Schaller Floyd Rose II's. Do the ones sold at Warmoth have the saddle screw hole inserts like the Floyd II's? Thanks, Karl

Comment

The Schaller Floyd and the FR II should be virtually identical, AFAIK.

Btw, we've had people tell us the Floyd Pro has different post spacing than the OFR and Schaller, but I think that has yet to be properly confirmed(?).

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane
              The Schaller Floyd and the FR II should be virtually identical, AFAIK.

Btw, we've had people tell us the Floyd Pro has different post spacing than the OFR and Schaller, but I think that has yet to be properly confirmed(?).
              1 or 2 days ago I saw an sl2h with an ofr pro on it on ebay. And in the auction description the guy stated that "the ofr pro was fitted with slight modification" It was a trans blue sl2h I guess maybe you can still find that.

and AFAIK an ofr is a direct replacement for a jt-590? So an ofr-pro should fit in a schaller route with slight modification...
              Check my bands!
              www.myspace.com/magicktr
              www.myspace.com/sinif64
              www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

The Pro has a narrower string spacing (like Joe said) and the same stud spacing compared to the Original, even though older schematics suggests a slightly different stud spacing. Why make it simple?

Floyd Rose Pro
                Stud spacing: 73.91 mm
                String spacing: 0.400 inches

Floyd Rose Original + II + Schaller JT-590
                Stud spacing: 73.91 mm (some schematics say 74.30 mm)
                String spacing: 0.420 inches

The top route for the Pro is overall smaller compared to the Original, in the 1-2 mm region. Not much.
                Last edited by jackson1; 07-17-2006, 06:23 AM.
                Henrik
                AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

KV4s originally came with JT580LPs which to my knowledge are a cheap knockoff of the Floyd Pro. I put 580s (interchangeable with 590s and Floyd IIs) in both my KV4s, and they fit perfectly. The only issue was a little left over space at the back of the route.
                  Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Originally posted by NextInLine
                    and AFAIK an ofr is a direct replacement for a jt-590? So an ofr-pro should fit in a schaller route with slight modification...
                    Well, it depends. The Since the JT-590 and Schaller have shorter locking screws, an OFR will not fit in a JT-590/Schaller top route. You would either have to route it out some, or shorten the locking bolts on the OFR. As for the Floyd Pro, it has the locking bolts on top, and would be difficult to alter, which leaves you with altering the top route of the guitar, if the trem overshoots it. An SL-2H would have had an OFR originally, so fitting a Floyd Pro in it was probably not that difficult.

(Note: All this is not an issue for guitars with non-recessed trems though.)

When I replaced a JT-580LP with a Schaller, the route left plenty of room to spare in the back (about half an inch). I would guess that the Floyd Pro has similar dimensions to the 580LP, and if that is the case, fitting a Floyd Pro into a Schaller route would mean woodworking.

Comment

The Floyd Rose website has dimensions for each model, but they don't seem to have the Floyd II listed any longer. Did they stop making it?

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe
                        I found this: http://www.vintagekramer.com/parts6.htm The FR II seems to be not be the same.
                        Last edited by fett; 07-17-2006, 04:37 PM.
                        I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Fett, that's the original version of the Floyd II... it's a single-locking piece of crap! Well, actually, it stays in tune pretty decently if you don't do a lot of heavy dive-bombing, like a vintage trem. I've got one laying around from the Kramer 600ST I got in '86. The newer double-locking Floyd II should be like a JT590/Schaller.

Comment

The early Floyd Rose II was a cheaper, single locking trem, which turned into a double locker in the early 90's. A proper Floyd Rose II and a Schaller Floyd are the exact same thing. One says Schaller and says it's licenced, the other says Floyd Rose II and doesn't say it's licenced, as it's under the Floyd brand name.

I don't think Floyd Rose have had the FR II produced for a while so they will be hard to come by. Any Schaller Floyd is the same and is what you need. They are a top trem.

Comment

Today, I was at the pawnshop, don't ask, and I saw an older FRII up close. They definitely are different.
                              I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Working...
                              X