Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

newb questions about pickups, sustaniac, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newb questions about pickups, sustaniac, etc.

Hello

I'm a newbie, both to this forum, and Jackson guitars. Heck, I've only been playing electric guitar for a few months. That being said, I have a strong background in synths and studio technology, esp. computer-based production, and have been a woodwind player for over 20 years. I've gotten my hands dirty with the soldering iron making mods to my synths and samplers, so have a fair amount of experience with electronics as well.

I recently picked up a Jackson DXMG (excellent guitar for the money I have to say), and while I love it's current setup, I'd like to make some modifications to it that would make it more suitable for the kind of music I'm working on (experimental/drone metal). The things I'm considering are: upgrading to active pickups; installing a sustaniac; and possibly even installing a MIDI piezo pickup, although this last consideration might have to wait for the next axe. I should also mention that I'm not thinking that I'll make these modifications myself, but rather plan on taking them to a luthier (any recommendations for luthiers in the Boulder/Denver area would be most appreciated).

For starters, I think upgrading to active pickups will put me closer to the general sound I'm wanting, which is a high-gain metal sound. EMG's Kerry King setup, the 81 & 85 pickups with the PA2 gain booster look like they'll do the trick. Since these are humbuckers, replacing the EMG HZ pickups I currently have would likely not be too big a problem.

The big problem here, of course, is that installing these pickups would leave no room for the Sustaniac Stealth in the neck position, so I'm wondering if it would work to install the EMG P-85 mini-humbucker alongside the Sustaniac Stealth in the neck position. The Sustaniac Stealth web page shows a Les Paul configured in this fashion (albeit with a Seymour Duncan mini-humbucker): http://www.sustainiac.com/stealth.htm

If this works, I'm wondering, would it possible to do the same thing in the bridge position, that is, install the P-81 mini-humbucker alongside a MIDI piezo pickup in the existing bridge pickup cavity?

I realize that even if everything can be made to fit inside the existing humbucker cavities, I'm likely still gonna have to have a hole or two drilled for extra switches/pots/etc., and that I might start having some space problems with the internal cavity where all the electronics are. I'm also wondering if there'd be any potential problems from just having a sustaniac, active pickups and MIDI piezo pickup all on the same guitar, like excessive noise or inaccurate signals from the MIDI pickup.

Any feedback on whether or not it would be possible to do all this would be most appreciated. Buying another guitar at this point and time is not an option, although I'm willing to concede that, at the very least, the MIDI pickup might need to wait for the next guitar.

i do not beleive the sustaniac supports active pickups. so right off the bat you need to choose between active pups or passive w/ the sustainer.

i don't know if jackson makes one but the Fernandes Sustainer system is availible with a Humbucker Driver (neck) pickup.
    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Jackson does not make a sustainer kit for aftermarket installation.
      The Fernandez FSK-401 kit comes with everything you need.
      You do not have to use the provided humbucker in the kit though... any passive pickup will work.
      I do not know of any sustainer kit that will work with active pickups.
      -Rick

Comment

I know for sure the Fernandez will work with active pickups. This is according to the instruction manual that comes with the kits. They have wiring diagrams including using active pickups. You might check with Sustainiac to see if theirs will work with active pickups as well.
        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel
          i do not beleive the sustaniac supports active pickups.
          This was one of the first things I checked: http://www.sustainiac.com/stealth.htm#activepu

They specifically mention EMG active pickups in this section.

Originally posted by rjohnstone
          Jackson does not make a sustainer kit for aftermarket installation. The Fernandez FSK-401 kit comes with everything you need.
          Right, but I'm not planning on buying the Sustaniac from Jackson -- I'm planning on buying it from Sustaniac, via their Maniac Music Inc. secure online ordering.

I took a look at the Fernandes, but decided against it for three reasons: for one, Jackson already uses the Sustaniac in their guitars, so I figured I'd stick with what Jackson uses. Secondly, while I realize there's an advantage to the simplicity of this method, I'm really looking for the kind of sound, when not using the Sustaniac, achieved via the 81/85/PA2 setup. Finally, the Sustaniac seems to be a bit cheaper than the Fernandes system.

Comment

Originally posted by wwinfrey
            Right, but I'm not planning on buying the Sustaniac from Jackson -- I'm planning on buying it from Sustaniac, via their Maniac Music Inc. secure online ordering.

I took a look at the Fernandes, but decided against it for three reasons: for one, Jackson already uses the Sustaniac in their guitars, so I figured I'd stick with what Jackson uses. Secondly, while I realize there's an advantage to the simplicity of this method, I'm really looking for the kind of sound, when not using the Sustaniac, achieved via the 81/85/PA2 setup. Finally, the Sustaniac seems to be a bit cheaper than the Fernandes system.
            Jackson uses two types of sustainers.
            The Sustaniac unit is used in the DK2S, and the PC1 uses a Jackson branded Floyd Rose sustainer. I know the Jackson unit does not play nice with active pups.
            As for the Sustainiac, route out the back for a dual 9v battery box. Don't try and slam it all in the existing control cavity. Between the control board and the extra switches and knobs, you will run out of room very fast.
            -Rick

Comment

Working...
            X