Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wanting a refin, look inside if its worth it...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanting a refin, look inside if its worth it...

I won this auction....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Now, I wanted one of these RGA's since they came oiut, and the prices were high, so im happy with this deal. Anyhow, I would have preferred the natural finish, but this deal was good seeing as how the pups are duncans and I can sell off the others and etc.

Now, I want to lose this finish, and go with a Slime Green finish (I love the color Jackson used)

IS this a silly project for a first timer?!? IF so, what would be my best option for getting it refinished. Is there someone on the board who could get me that slime green color done RIGHT, or am I better off leaving it alone?

Im just curious if its a hassle to remove the current finish and if its worth messing around with. I could sand it, and send it off, but what kind of costs would I be lookign at for such a paint job?!?

Thanks for any advice!!!!

I like that finish the way it is. But if you really want a slime green finish, and you love that guitar and don't think you would ever sell it if you had the finish you wanted, then I say go for it. Do what you want to make yourself happy with the guitar. If it were me, I would send it somewhere to be refinished rather than trying it myself for the first time.

Comment

I tend to think of refins as something to do on a guitar that's already beat to crap, so I wouldn't do it, but its your guitar and it has to make you happy, not me.

That said, I would do a few refins on some scrap bodies before doing this one. Practice makes perfect, afterall. Buy some POS body on ebay and refinish that first to get the hang of it.
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

If you decide to have someone else do it, PM Mark (mm2002). He's done awesome work for guys here, & he's got a new project that may be using the same color you're looking for. Also, talk w/ him first before doing any stripping of the body. I only took a quick look, but I can't tell from the pics if it's oil finished or cleared. If it has a poly clear on it he may not want you to strip it.

Comment

Mark is great to deal with.... Give him a shout.

Comment

Thanks guys.

I also toyed with the idea of putting on some vinyl (auto grade) decals that look like vines. IT could look very cool, so im thinking it may be worth a try...

Anyone ever use those high grade vinyls on a guitar?!?

Comment

+1 for contacting Mark (mm2002).
              A very nice guy, very knowledgable, and does fantastic work.

Comment

Working...
              X