Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Progressively deeper scalloped fretboard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Progressively deeper scalloped fretboard?

I have never played a scalloped fretboard, but I have always been intrigued by the idea. I am starting a new custom guitar project and I am thinking of doing a scalloped fretboard. I'll be cutting this fretboard completely on a CNC machine, and I have modeled up what I think I'd like the scallops to look like for doing just that. I'm thinking of doing from the 12th fret up and taking them progressively deeper as I go up the neck. What do you guys think of this approach?
    Here is a snapshot of the model I have drawn up, the body is just there as a reference.

12-24th is a good idea. Don't overdo the progressively deeper frets though. Even a shallow scallop makes a huge difference. Are you familiar with the Grover Jackson Doug Aldrich model? It has this very feature.

Your project sounds very interesting - and challenging. Good luck!
    Henrik
    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Scallop the entire neck. Don't be a pussy. 12th and up scalloped necks are for girlymen.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable
        12th and up scalloped necks are for girlymen.
        ....and for people who can't decide whether they really want scallops or not.
        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Hey metalhead28, we've just been called out as indecisive pussy girlymen! Thanks guys, for your honest and frank opinions. Don't be shy now
          Last edited by jackson1; 07-14-2006, 03:13 AM.
          Henrik
          AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1
            Hey metalhead28, we've just been called out as indecisive pussy girlymen! Thanks guys, for your honest and frank opinions. Don't be shy now
            Its all good. I meant it is a manly good way!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mm2002
              ....and for people who can't decide whether they really want scallops or not.
              How many frets will be enough, 11th and up? j/k
              Check my bands!
              www.myspace.com/magicktr
              www.myspace.com/sinif64
              www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

Scallop the entire neck. Don't be a pussy. 12th and up scalloped necks are for girlymen.
                Well, part of me thinks that scalloping the neck at all is for pussy girlymen. So what's your point? j/k

Yeah, you can call me indecisive. I just might do the whole neck, I don't know. It would be nice to find out for sure if I really like it. If I don't, at least I'll have an interesting guitar that everybody will want to play.

Comment

I liked the Richie Blackmore type scalloping. Its deaper on the high strings and more shallow on the low strings - like a compound scallop.
                  -------------------------
                  Blank yo!

Comment

All this talk of scallops is making me hungry!
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam
                      All this talk of scallops is making me hungry!
                      Blackened with some cajun spices and drowned in butter.
                      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I scalloped a model 2 neck from the 7th to the 22nd fret and that to me seemed perfect for me.You dont have to go real deep to get the effect.If you go too deep you will loose your dots and side dots.
                        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

"If you're gonna be a bear... Be a Grizzly"

Originally posted by straycat
                          I scalloped a model 2 neck from the 7th to the 22nd fret and that to me seemed perfect for me.You dont have to go real deep to get the effect.If you go too deep you will loose your dots and side dots.
                          take some regular printing label paper and a hole punch and make your own dots. after you oil the neck with them stuck on, no one but you will know they are stickers.
                          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Do the whole neck, I love my YJM strat.
                            Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

Working...
                            X