Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seymour Duncan Custom or Dimarzio Super Distortion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seymour Duncan Custom or Dimarzio Super Distortion?

Hi guys just wanted to ask which do you think is better? the Seymour Duncan Custom or Dimarzio Super Distortion? I will be using it for thrash metal purposes think exodus, testament, and slayer.

Don't know, but they have similar specs. You'd think they sound the same. Maybe that's why so many people like Custom's, because it's a knock-off of the SuperD.

Comment

DiMarzio Evolutions imho are way better than superD's, sound a whole world better
      My music:
      www.leonlive.co.uk

Comment

Super III!
        Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

Originally posted by jcm800x
          Super III!
          +1. Good for the sound you are looking for.
          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by jcm800x
            Super III!
            +2... my favorite pup.
            -Rick

Comment

deleted
              Last edited by SGplayer; 07-14-2006, 11:38 PM.

Comment

wow i never knew the Super D and custom are nearly having the ame specs. Is the Super D having that PAF sound also? i am not looking for that sound.

I heard the Super III is really muddy ...

Comment

I have used both extensivley over the years and I have to say my personal opinion is the Dimarzio Super Distorion is my fav of the 2. I like the Duncan Distortion, but it seems it's a little too muddy when cranked. I like the way the Dimarzio sounds cranked, much better midrange tone in my opinion. Just has a better "chunk"...... for lack of a better expression. I have a Model 2 that I was considering changing the pickup in soon, at first I was thinking EMG 81, now I have been seriously thinking Dimarzio SD, I have them in a Les Paul and man.....I'm talking the tone of the metal gods!!!

Hope this helps!
                  Guitars:
                  Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
                  1988 Model 2,
                  Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
                  RR3
                  Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
                  1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
                  2005 SG Special

Comment

Originally posted by jrnic
                    I have used both extensivley over the years and I have to say my personal opinion is the Dimarzio Super Distorion is my fav of the 2. I like the Duncan Distortion, but it seems it's a little too muddy when cranked. I like the way the Dimarzio sounds cranked, much better midrange tone in my opinion. Just has a better "chunk"...... for lack of a better expression
                    When you say you fav of the two, you are talking Super D vs. Custom, right? Just wondering, because you start talking about the Duncan Distortion.

DD Muddy? Throw it into a Maple body like George Lynch did.

Comment

Originally posted by viva_360
                      wow i never knew the Super D and custom are nearly having the ame specs. Is the Super D having that PAF sound also? i am not looking for that sound.

I heard the Super III is really muddy ...
                      I've got a bunch of the Super 3's in guitars of various wood combinations and it's exceptionally bright with clear highs, and with mid and lows right there.
                      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

duncan custom = best pickup on this planet and potentially others.
                        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                        Sully Guitars on Facebook
                        Sully Guitars on Google+
                        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Out of your 2 choices I would choose the Duncan.. and I am a full blown Dimarzio man!!
                          If you want a pickup totally suitable for thrash you should look at:
                          Bill Lawrence 500XL
                          Seymour Duncan Invader
                          Dimarzio X2N
                          EMB 81 running 18v.

Comment

I just checked out the D Sonic from Dimarzio. anyone has tried it? John from Dream Theater is using this pickup now as we speak. Alot of people say this pickup kicks. Not sure how it would perform.

By the way my guitar is a Jackson with Mahogany body

Comment

i was curious about something similar. anyone ever try the duncan custom in a soloist? i use DD in my bolt-on dinky's and they sound great. however, when i put a DD in my soloist, it sounds kinda wimpy.

so i was just curious as to how the duncan custom.

thanks, dave

Comment

Working...
                              X