Flattening Agent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flattening Agent?

What would you guys suggest for acheiving a flat, dull finish on a multi-graphic paintjob?

I've tried wetsanding and using very fine (0000) steel wool, but that gives me a little more "sheen" than I want.

I'm thinking of using a flattening agent in the clearcoat, but I'm getting conflicting info. from different sources. Some say you can wetsand, buff, and it won't have any effect on the dull appearance. Others say that you have to just shoot it and just leave it alone and that any sort of buffing would create a shine.

My preference would be to have the ability to wetsand, and "finese" the finish after shooting my clear, but if using this technique produces a shine, I'll have to find another option I guess.

Any thoughts?

Dino, you can use PPG DX685 flattening agent in most any poly color or clear. You can adjust the degree of "flatness" by the mixing ratio. The only real disadvantage is that with wear, you'll eventually get "shiny" spots in it. When these spots start to shine up, it will give a "milky" appearance to the underlying color (mainly on darker colors). In that respect it's sometimes better to use sandpaper or steel wool to achieve the "satin" appearance. When you get shiny spots on that it's simply a matter of re-sanding or scuffing to restore the appearance. Don't get me wrong though, the flattening agent works very well and looks great. I use it on a lot of automotive trim, but those pieces aren't subject to any physical wear to speak of. Hope this helps a bit.
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Oh, and another thing. If you're not getting the 'flatness" you want with the steel wool or fine sandpaper, try some 320 on an orbital sander. You'd think a lot of sanding scratches would show up, but they really don't. At least give it a try befor re-spraying, it may be just what you're looking for.
      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

That's a big help.
        Thanks Mark.

Comment

Working...
        X