Grinding down a Floyd nut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grinding down a Floyd nut

I have those cheap asian nuts "R43" that are too tall for what I need. Instead of the nut having a flat bottom, it has a lip around the bottom that looks like it was designed to be ground off to lower the height of the nut.

Any suggestions on what tool to use to get this perfectly flat?

Thanks,

Don

Get a piece of 180 or 220 wet/dry sandpaper and put it on a flat surface like a countertop. Use water with a drop of dishwashing soap or WD-40 (slicker) on the paper and sand the bottom using an even pressure on the top of the nut. Flip the nut over once and a while to monitor the "evenness" of how the ridge is breaking down and adjust the pressure on the top of the nut until the ridge is gone. You can finish up with some 400 grit if you want the finer finish. Works like a charm.
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Great. I was thinking power tools but I guess that would be overkill.

Comment

You can knock some of the lip down with a Dremel, then change to the sandpaper. The nut is most likely brass (I would guess) and that would cut pretty good especially with the WD-40 on the sandpaper. I've sanded brass bridge plates this way to get them perfectly flat and it goes fairly fast.
        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal65
          Get a piece of 180 or 220 wet/dry sandpaper and put it on a flat surface like a countertop. Use water with a drop of dishwashing soap or WD-40 (slicker) on the paper and sand the bottom using an even pressure on the top of the nut. Flip the nut over once and a while to monitor the "evenness" of how the ridge is breaking down and adjust the pressure on the top of the nut until the ridge is gone. You can finish up with some 400 grit if you want the finer finish. Works like a charm.
          +1

Sometimes the simplest techniques are those that seem to work best.

Comment

If it goes fast, I won't need power tools. I thought it might take forever without a grinder. I was thinking there was something out there like a milling machine for engine heads LOL!

Comment

Working...
            X