EMG 89 Sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG 89 Sound

I bought a USA Kramer Pacer Special. Single Hum. The guy put in an 89 with the pull pot and all that. The sound is very twangy and the output is a little low. Changed the battery. Is that how it's supposed to sound? I don't like it.
    I am a true ass set to this board.

It's two pickups in one... an SA and an 85. It'll sound twangy and lower in output when in the single coil SA mode (pulled up). The humbucking 85 mode should be much more beefy sounding (pushed down).
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

It does. But there is no punch. Is it a "quiet" pickup that needs volumn?

Comment

EMGs need to be very close to the strings for the best results. Also, make sure your guitar cable is pushed in all the way (stereo jacks can be tight and you might need to check for a second click just to be sure... this has happened to plenty of people before complaining of lower output). If those suggestions don't help, then I have no idea.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

This is somewhat unrelated, but I sat down to read up on the EMG-89 the other day, and I'm now convinced it is simply a dual coil pickup with a split mode (as opposed to three coils in one housing as the general description leads us to believe).

From the Q&A section at emginc.com:
          "The single coil portion of the EMG-89 is located on the logo side of the pickup. It is identical in sound to the EMG-SA. The humbucking portion is spread across the entire pickup and sounds like the EMG-85."

EMG has always been unable to properly account for how their pickups are built (they are seemingly assuming that people are idiots), but the quote above indicates that it's just a splittable humbucker(?). Seems they have one coil that is identical to the SA, and another coil that helps the SA emulate an EMG-85.

Comment

I have a sneaking hunch that the input jack is the problem. And yes, I do ram the plug in for the double click I am used to hearing. But on this one the first time I looked, the jack looked strange. I'll look at it tomorrow. Thanks guys.

Comment

It should be a stereo jack.

Check out the FAQ on the right side of http://emginc.com/support.asp
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

deleted
                Last edited by SGplayer; 07-14-2006, 11:44 PM.

Comment

From the looks of it, it might be easy for a newbie to mess up the wiring on an EMG89. It would be a good idea to double check everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane
                    This is somewhat unrelated, but I sat down to read up on the EMG-89 the other day, and I'm now convinced it is simply a dual coil pickup with a split mode (as opposed to three coils in one housing as the general description leads us to believe).

"The single coil portion of the EMG-89 is located on the logo side of the pickup. It is identical in sound to the EMG-SA. The humbucking portion is spread across the entire pickup and sounds like the EMG-85."

EMG has always been unable to properly account for how their pickups are built (they are seemingly assuming that people are idiots), but the quote above indicates that it's just a splittable humbucker(?). Seems they have one coil that is identical to the SA, and another coil that helps the SA emulate an EMG-85.
                    I'm not an EMG expert, but isn't the EMG-SA a humbucking single? I don't know if it's a stacked coil or a side-by-side (hot rails style).

Comment

Originally posted by DonP
                      I'm not an EMG expert, but isn't the EMG-SA a humbucking single? I don't know if it's a stacked coil or a side-by-side (hot rails style).
                      From what I know the emg-sa is just a single, but people usually don't think it sounds like a single
                      Check my bands!
                      www.myspace.com/magicktr
                      www.myspace.com/sinif64
                      www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

Tinfoil hat time, 'bane?

From the rest of the 89 FAQ:

What is the EMG-89? The EMG-89 is a dual-mode pickup. There is no electronic filtering going on to simulate a coil tap. There are two bona fide pickups in a single humbucking housing. The single coil portion of the EMG-89 is located on the logo side of the pickup. It is identical in sound to the EMG-SA. The humbucking portion is spread across the entire pickup and sounds like the EMG-85. It's perfectly OK to rotate the pickup 180 degrees to locate the single coil portion of the pickup further away from the bridge for a "beefier" tone. You may also order the EMG-89R, which has the single-coil portion located opposite the logo.
                        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX
                          Tinfoil hat time, 'bane?
                          I dunno, maybe.

It's just that I think the "two pickups in one" is some sort of marketing jargon. I mean, how would they manage to spread the humbucking portion across the entire pickup, unless it was a dual coil?

Well, I guess we'll never know for sure until someone takes an 89 to a bandsaw and cuts it in half.

Sorry for the thread hi-jack though. This just struck my mind as the 89 was being discussed.

Originally posted by DonP
                          Like NiL, I also think the SA is a real singlecoil, but here we have the same problem again; EMG's inability to properly account for their products. At the very least though, I'm sure the SA is not a stacked humbucker, as it would have to be taller to have room for the second coil. It could be a side-by-side, but I think it is a real singlecoil.
                          Last edited by Sunbane; 07-07-2006, 04:42 AM.

Comment

I dunno, maybe.

It's just that I think the "two pickups in one" is some sort of marketing jargon. I mean, how would they manage to spread the humbucking portion across the entire pickup, unless it was a dual coil?
                            Agreed, if that's the situation then one of the "pickups" should be over the other which will cause one of them to be a bit far from strings.

They must at least be the part of the same circuit, even if the 85 portion is not a "one more coil added sa" they must be sharing something

Here's my guess;

I'm not a pick-up expert but from what I know an active emg hum consists of a usual hum (I mean a passive one) and a pre-amp circuit. The 89 can be a pick-up with a usual splitable hum and 2 different pre-amp circuits for the sa and the 85
                            Check my bands!
                            www.myspace.com/magicktr
                            www.myspace.com/sinif64
                            www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

Well, I guess we'll never know for sure until someone takes an 89 to a bandsaw and cuts it in half.
                              We need someone to do that.

Comment

Working...
                              X