Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wolgang and EBMM neck ?

How do you guys deal with the discoloration that eventually happens
    on Peavey's minimally finished necks like on my Wolfgang Special?

I also have an EBMM Axis that appears to have a bit more finishing
    on the neck. It hasn't started to discolor--yet, but I imagine it
    will eventually. I'm told that EBMM uses a combination of gunstock
    oil and beeswax on their necks. Anyone know if this is the case, and
    also, has anyone tried to duplicate this combination. Is there a
    commercially-made product that will approximate it?

theo

Here's some good info on care of the Wolfgang:

http://www.wolfgangguitars.com/care_&_feeding.htm

Comment

I'm interested in this topic too. The neck on my new Charvie is oil finished. I figured there wasn't much that could be done to keep it from getting "dirty". Maybe I'm wrong?

Comment

If it gets dirty, just clean it with some lemon oil and a toothbrush.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I have talked to a Peavey technician and he told me that the lemon oil will clean most of the gunk off the neck. He only recommended lemon oil for cleaning and reconditioning. The murphy's oil soap is also a good cleaner to use on a unfinished neck. A 3 to 1 ratio mixture can be used. They recommend that for cleaning the Ernieball Axis guitar neck.

Comment

Can lemon oil be used as a regular (every 6 months or so) neck treatment or is it for cleaning as needed only purposes?

Comment

I wouldn't recommend treating maple fretboards with lemon oil. Clean as needed, and if it's real bad & needs to be scraped, sanded or gone over w/ steel wool, then re-seal w/ boiled linseed oil or gunstock oil. Lemon oil every 6 months is about right for ebony or rosewood, though.

Comment

Wolfgang Neck Cleaning Tips

The following tips should be taken into consideration to retain the good looks and sound of your EVH Wolfgang guitar:

Wash hands thoroughly before playing to minimize the effects of excessive dirt and skin acids. Wipe the instrument down with a soft, dry cloth after each use. The oil finished neck should be cleaned and replenished periodically, such as during string changes. We recommend using Peavey Lemon-oil for this but many of the commercially available fingerboard or lemon oils are suitable. Do not use oils containing stains or pigments as they may stain the neck. Also, do not apply a paste wax to the neck. Paste wax is fine for oil finishes on instrument bodies and furniture, but it can cause a wax build up resulting in a "sticky" or "gummy" neck feel.

Using a soft, clean cloth; apply only enough oil to moisten the wood surface of the neck. Allow the oil to absorb into the wood for a few minutes, and then wipe off any excess. If excessively dirty, apply the oil using a soft-bristled toothbrush, and gently scrub the surface to loosen and remove any dirt and grime. Wipe off any excess.

Small surface scratches and stains on the neck can be removed with #0000 ultra fine steel wool, or an equivalent synthetic steel wool. Do not allow steel wool or shavings to be exposed to the pickups, frets or finished body and peghead surfaces. Regular use and cleaning will keep the frets clean and shiny. If the frets should need additional work, it is recommended to let an experienced technician perform this operation. Do not scrub the fret surfaces with steel wool unless the fingerboard is properly masked as staining of the maple fingerboard may occur.

Clean and shine the guitar body and peghead surface with a soft, clean cloth and a polish suitable for hard, gloss finishes, such as Peavey Guitar Polish. Do not use water- or alcohol-based polishes on the oil finished neck surface. They can raise the wood grain resulting in a rough surface texture and possibly cause damage to the neck. Store your instrument in the case when it's not in use. We include a desiccant pack inside the Wolfgang case to help absorb moisture if needed. If a humidifier is needed, you can either use a commercially available product or make one yourself by enclosing a slightly damp sponge inside a small, plastic salt or pepper shaker.

A.J.

Comment

Working...
                X