Stupid wire gauge question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid wire gauge question

What is the normal wire gauge used for wiring a guitar? I'm too lazy to look it up. Is it 16 gauge. Thanks
    I am a true ass set to this board.

Household Romex will work (additional routing many be required)

Really, 18 AWG all the way to 28 AWG for active electronics are used. Belden insulated (sheilded wire) is 26 AWG. 22 AWG is also common. I use the Belden exclusively from the input jack to the pot(s).
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

16 is a bit thick. I'd stick to something smaller.

To get an idea of what is really thin, look at the size of the wires used on 4 conductor pickups. Those are really thin.

I second using shielded cable from the jack to the pots - every little bit helps.

Comment

Thanks. The reason I asked is I got rolls of 16 real cheap. But when I was playing around with a stripper, the wire looked really thick. I am getting ready to fuk up my guitars and be a Zeegler with my EMG's. I just wanted to make sure I used the right wire.:ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF: Romex. That was good!!!!!!!!!
        Last edited by fett; 07-05-2006, 04:10 PM.
        I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

I used to run #12 through EMT.
          However, I found the EMT was a little hard to bend in the control cavity. Now I use BX cable.
          Last edited by Model1VH2; 07-05-2006, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X