Taming the JB...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taming the JB...

I love the sound of the Duncan JB, but those imfamous mid and high spikes annoy me sometimes. Its not so much a problem in a mahogany guitar, but with my alder-bodied Wayne its really prominent.

Anyone had any experience dealing with this? Apparantly some people use 250k volume pots?

Try a 300k pot. Check your P.Ms
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

You could always change the Alnico 5 magnet to the smaller ceramic from a Duncan Custom and it will sound great in an alder bodied guitar. Maybe a bit too agressive for you though. Or you could swap it altogether for a Duncan Distortion.

I too was turned off from the JB early on in my Gibson Les Paul and SG and yanked it out for a DD and never looked back. Well then again once I got into the magnet swapping bandwagon, I swapped a Custom with an alnico 5 for what was then the rage of a Custom Custom Custom and I wasnt impressed but the resulting JB with a small ceramic blew me away and for some reason noone ever gave the JB ceramic any credability and I find that a much more useful pickup to me than a C5. YMMV though.

Comment

I had a 1 hum guitar and just changed to a 300k pot and it took a lot of the shrillness out of the JB.Jack has 2 hums so the 300k pot may not be the way to go in this case.He has a JB/59 set up.Magnets swap might just work.Thats a good idea.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

To my ear, the JB is very height sensitive. Try messing with the height adjustment screws a little, and maybe it'll take the edge off. That seemed to make some significant tone differences in a couple of JB-equipped guitars of mine.

Comment

Working...
          X