Nut slot files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nut slot files

I need to have my guitars nut slots filed, the action at the nut is about twice as high as it should be.

How does it compare pricewise to have it done or to buy a set of files and do it myself?

thanks, bob

A good set of nut files will run you around $65 for six or seven string guitars. If you want to include basses figure $125. I can't tell you how much one would charge, since I've never had anyone work on my guitars in my 40 years of playing. I suspect the charge by a good luthier would be a less amount for one guitar. If you plan to maintain other guitars, build guitars, or swap necks in the future, a nut file set is a good investment. By doing it yourself you can dial your height's exactly as you like. It's been mentioned many times on this board, and I can't recommend this book enough is Dan Erlewine's book on Guitar Repair. It comes in handy as a guide and reference for setting up and repairing your guitars for a lifetime.
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal65
      A good set of nut files will run you around $65 for six or seven string guitars. If you want to include basses figure $125. I can't tell you how much one would charge, since I've never had anyone work on my guitars in my 40 years of playing. I suspect the charge by a good luthier would be a less amount for one guitar. If you plan to maintain other guitars, build guitars, or swap necks in the future, a nut file set is a good investment. By doing it yourself you can dial your height's exactly as you like. It's been mentioned many times on this board, and I can't recommend this book enough is Dan Erlewine's book on Guitar Repair. It comes in handy as a guide and reference for setting up and repairing your guitars for a lifetime.

Thanks

Comment

Also as a "low budget" approach, you can remove the nut and sand/file the bottom of it down until you get the height you want. Assuming the slots are in good condition and match the fretboard radius nicely, this works like a champ! What I do is get a piece of 180 grit sticky back sandpaper, stick it on a flat surface, and rub the nut over it until the string height is where I want it. When it's the way you want it just put a little dab of glue under it, stick it back on there, and life is good! (for about 25 cents!)
        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Originally posted by mm2002
          Also as a "low budget" approach, you can remove the nut and sand/file the bottom of it down until you get the height you want. Assuming the slots are in good condition and match the fretboard radius nicely, this works like a champ! What I do is get a piece of 180 grit sticky back sandpaper, stick it on a flat surface, and rub the nut over it until the string height is where I want it. When it's the way you want it just put a little dab of glue under it, stick it back on there, and life is good! (for about 25 cents!)
          Yea, this is another method, but I would recommend the nut slot file sold by StewMac to clean the old glue and cleanup the neck nut slot. Go slow, because you can lower it too fast. Go back and forth between the sanding and checking the height. You can dry fit the nut over and over. I actually don't glue the nut in till a couple of weeks has past, letting the "setup" settle in. Of course if you have a gig tomorrow, you can't wait this long.
          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

one thing that hasn't been mentioned is how remarkably easy it is to fuck up a nut slot. if you don't cut the slots correctly, you're opening yourself up to a world of tuning issues. for those that want to learn how to do it, buy a bunch of pre slotted ones (you have to adjust them anyway) and work on your technique.
            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
            Sully Guitars on Facebook
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

That's a good one Sully. Practice makes perfect and even then, you can always blow it. It was said here many times before. As the master himself, Dan Erlewine says, "You don't want to blow a nut"!

Comment

What I do is get a piece of 180 grit sticky back sandpaper, stick it on a flat surface, and rub the nut over it...
                There he goes, rubbing his nuts off sandpaper, again!

I'm not Ron!

Comment

If anyone has an old worn set of nut files they don't need I'll take em!
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Thanks, for the info. I hadn't thought about removing the nut and milling some off the bottom.

Tho I had to do that on a Musicyo once, only it was a locking nut.

This ones a glued in regular one. And it's a new guitar. I'm kinda leery about popping paint off the side of the neck when it comes off.

Comment

If you scribe the outline of the nut with an x-acto knife or razor blade it will make for a clean removal.

Comment

Originally posted by Racerx2k
                        There he goes, rubbing his nuts off sandpaper, again!

Well, maybe "rub" wasn't the best word to use huh!

Comment

If you scribe the outline of the nut with an x-acto knife or razor blade it will make for a clean removal.
                          ---------------------------------------------------------------------

I did it! it came out perfect! It really didn't take a lot of sanding. I just used a feeler gauge on the guitar needing adjusted and on one that is setup correctly. .010" is what it needed taken off. I just worked it down with sand paper.

I still haven't glued it in yet. I wanted to make sure I liked it first. What's a good glue for this?

bob

Comment

Elmers works great. It holds it in nicely, but allows it to be removed when needed.

Comment

+1
                              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                              X