elixir, are they worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• elixir, are they worth it?

I need a long lasting string set that also is very consistant and have a loose tension?
    should i try the elixir or the DR black beauties or red devils?
    If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

I use elixirs and love them! I like the sleek feel of them. They last me about 5 months and that's when they start to lost tone and shine (start to rust). Daddarios lasted me about month and a half. I never tried DRs, cause nobody around here carries them.

Comment

I think they are a marketing scam. Overpriced too. They are certainly more consistant sounding overall though. The problem is the consistant sound is mediocre at best.

Comment

I use to use them all the time until I switched to D'Addarios(sp?). They are nice but, I think it is more of a marketing scam. They seem to keep a fresh feel to them longer. But, I kinda feel like that polywind stuff doesn't really do much for the sustain. Especially after you have played them for a little while. Look at the shit on the strings near your picking position after you have played some thrash for a few. It looks like your string are starting to grow hair.

-Nate
        Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

Eh, they came on my Carvin SC90 when I got it in '02... they were a little too bright and felt weird, and they were the thin, lightly coated Nanoweb version and not the regular Polyweb coating.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

They really improved the sound of my acoustic. Reduced string squeak, too.

Comment

arghh.

i use my new clean D'addarios for maybe a 5 day week, and by the end they're corroded, rusty, and very hard to slide around on.

so elixirs don't make for great, long-lasting electric strings, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by nateb
                Look at the shit on the strings near your picking position after you have played some thrash for a few. It looks like your string are starting to grow hair.

-Nate
                That's true. I hate this too, but it doesn't affect the sound and the strings don't break or rust at that place. I rather have this and nice feel and shine (and tone!) for a very long time, than rusty strings after a month. And it's cheaper for me to buy one pack of Elixirs every 5 months or so than pack of daddarios (or any regular priced strings) every month and a half.

Comment

DR strings do not suck in any way whatsoever, they crackle just right and for a long time.
                  Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

MY Carvin came with them and I have been using them ever since. Previously, I hadn't tried them and considered them way overpriced. However, they last forever, sound decent and dont rust for a long time. With many guitars, it can be a pain to change strings often, so I mainly buy them because they last a long time. They feel very slinky, too, and I like that.

Comment

a friend bought some elixirs for his acoustic because he hates to change strings. He figured this way he could still change them every 6-12 months as usual, but they'd still sound good for longer. One of the strings broke after a couple of days, right before a gig. And of course, nobody sells single elixirs - they want you to pay another $40 for a whole set. He's back to using regular $8-a-pack strings now.
                      Hail yesterday

Comment

The regular DRs are a very long lasting string.The colored DRs are quite gay and don't sound very good at all.I use D'adarrio XLs because the sound is good and they last quite a long time for me anyway,and they are more cost effective than the DRs.
                        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I use Daddarios, and I change my strings maybe twice a year.

I wipe each string down before and after I play, so they don't rust.
                          Until you get weaned off the boobie, you are going to have to do what the wife wants too. -Rsmacker

Comment

my les paul copy has elixir.. pretty nice strings but abit too pricey
                            on my dk2 i use the cheapest kind of string.. i buy them for a couple of cents seperatly whenever a string breaks.. my strings used to break often but they were the stock strings on dk2.. since i changed them to the cheap strings i buy ceperatly.. they dont break.. have them close to 8 months now. They don't sound as good anymore but still allright i like them
                            If the crowd is shouting for an encore, but the sound guy is shaking his head, ignore him and play anyway

Comment

wow! 8 months? twice a year?

mine last me like, a week!

Comment

Working...
                              X