Emg wiring question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emg wiring question

Before mailing emg-support I thought I should ask this here because the problem seemed very simple to me (I have zero wiring experience )

I have got an 81 and an 85 but I don't have the quick connect cable for one of them yet. And it seems like I'll have to buy it from the USA. Until that shows up I want to wire the 85 to the bridge, and don't use the tone pot. I only want to wire it to the volume pot and start jamming

here's the original schematic for 1vol/1tone without switch

And here's what I thought I should do;

But this seemed too simple to me! If this is the correct schematic, those two cables with the question marks are the ones that are the two ends of the quick connect cable right? (I must be a genious ) That cable has three ends two of which are soldered together. Is it normally this way? or should I de-solder them? If so then do what?

Thanks a lot for your help!
    Check my bands!
    www.myspace.com/magicktr
    www.myspace.com/sinif64
    www.myspace.com/dementiatr

the middle wire from the output jack is an earth wire - wire it to the volume pot instead. other than that it looks col you should be alrite nothing too difficult there

Comment

Yeah, just remove the capacitor and connect the earth and signal from the pot direct to the output....
      Popular is not the same as good
      Rare is not the same as valuable
      Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Thanks a lot for the quick replies! After reading many threads about how people had wiring issues with emgs I thought I should learn more before starting to wire them...
        Check my bands!
        www.myspace.com/magicktr
        www.myspace.com/sinif64

Comment

the main thing is make sure u get the pickup connecters the rihgt way round..when i first fitted some i couldn't work out why my neck bucker wasn't working until i spotted that the red and white wires weren't the same way round as on my bridge bucker!!

Comment

After reading many threads about how people had wiring issues with emgs I thought I should learn more before starting to wire them...
            Reading up on stuff in advance is good. Wiring EMGs isn't any harder than wiring any other pickups though, and the change to lose the tone pot is the same as would have been the case with passive pups. People just get all sorts of weird ideas that it should be hard, and go "WTF, I have to replace the pots and jack?!? OMG, diffikult! EMG teh sukk!!!"

Comment

As I stated above for me anything about wiring sounds difficult! lol Because I don't have any experience yet...

And I don't know the logic behind the volume pot - tone pot thing so I couldn't realise I should wire a cable to earth the volume pot

One of the things that excites me most about this situation is that I'll see if I can live with a one hum. guitar... I always love the way 1 hum guitars look but think I could need the neck pick-up (I rarely use them) Hope it turns out to be ok!
              Check my bands!
              www.myspace.com/magicktr
              www.myspace.com/sinif64

Comment

Working...
              X