Mahogany clear coated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mahogany clear coated?

If i clear coat a mahogany body, will it turn deep warm and saturated in color - just like if i oiled it?

I guess it will, but i'd like to see some pics, if you got any
    Henrik
    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

yes it will, but make sure that you've filled that grain.
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Fill the grain... won't it ruin the mahogany look? Fill with what?
      Henrik

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1
        Fill the grain... won't it ruin the mahogany look? Fill with what?
        On clear finished mahogany or White or black Limba (Korina), I use System 3, 2 part epoxy for filler. It's a boat building epoxy for wood. I bought mine through Luthiers Mercentile in California. One small kit will do many, many guitars. If you can't find it were you live, a woodworking supply or boat yard shop will have it or something similar. It is 100% CLEAR unlike some other epoxies that are yellowish in tint. It's a little tricky to work with, but is excellent for revealing the true grain in the wood. You can also use mahogany oil based, paste wood filler.
        Last edited by Bengal65; 06-28-2006, 01:25 PM.
        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I have heard of people sealing wood grain with a urethane clearcoat.
          I've never personally tried it, but I've heard it works.

If that's the case, i would think if you use urethane, you could kill two birds with one stone.

Comment

you'll need a lot of clear to do it. i did that with spalted maple, and it soaked it up like a sponge.
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

If you want a smooth finish you must grain fill first.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Great info, JCF Paint Team.

Originally posted by Bengal65
                It's a little tricky to work with
                In what way? Hardens too quickly?
                Henrik

Comment

yeah, pretty much. like bondo, etc, you have to kinda learn to work with it. you want it to just fill the pores, as opposed to building up a layer of epoxy on top of the body. sanding that stuff down can take a really long time.
                  Sully Guitars on Google+
                  Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Yea, Sully said it. You have to work quickly with the epoxy and push it into the grain, then as you do it, you want to get as much off the surface as possible to reduce sanding. It's a Catch 22 situation, with a little practice it works great. It helps just to mix enough to do one side at a time so you don't rush yourself. Grain filling is the number one task I hate to do. This stuff makes it easier on you after you put your primer coats (or clear coat in this case) and not see any grain lines after it cures.

The other "tricky" part is that these thin "boat" epoxies do not mix well in small quantities. The experts recommend weighing each part before you mix the epoxy. This gives you the most accurate mix. I purchased a small digital scale over the internet that works fantastic and comes with a 500 gram calibration weight.
                    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Thanks guys, i'll see if i can find some of that clear boat epoxy around here. We're surrounded by oceans so we have a lot of boat shops available i can check out
                      Henrik

Comment

Jackson1,
                        Here is the System 3 website. They have lots of good info and instructional material. Any shop that has boat building, kayaks, canoe's etc. or wood working supplies should stock this type of epoxy. Good luck http://www.systemthree.com/index_2.asp
                        Also, see Luthiers Mercentile page here: http://www.lmii.com/CartTwo/thirdpro...3+Epoxy+Filler
                        Last edited by Bengal65; 06-29-2006, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X