EMG 81's in a maple body

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG 81's in a maple body

I'm putting a set - H S H - in a maple westone body.

How will they sound in maple?

thanks

Depends on your playing style, string gauge, neck wood, fretboard wood, bridge type, thickness of the finish, amp, speakers, effects, position of the moon........etc etc.....
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Seriously, EMGs sound the same to me in every type of guitar body. I'll bet they would sound the same on an oatmeal box with rubber bands!

Comment

I have an emg 81 in the bridge of my ke-2. And o close friend of mine has a cort x-th (mahogany body with mahogany thru-neck) with an emg 81 on the bridge. My guitar definitely sounds brighter,cleaner and more open I don'T know how it will sound in a maple body though, you should just try maybe...
        Check my bands!
        www.myspace.com/magicktr
        www.myspace.com/sinif64
        www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

I would really think it would be "over the top" way too bright. EMG81's have lot's of brightness, and in a maple body, that's just asking for it.

I think you would be happier with an EMG85.

My experience with 81's is I have one in a basswood Fusion, and one in a Kelly Star (poplar or alder). The Fusion is really bright with 18v, and the Kelly Star has an SPC to boost the mids that helps a lot. I'm really thinking of putting an 85 into either one.

Comment

Originally posted by mm2002
            Seriously, EMGs sound the same to me in every type of guitar body. I'll bet they would sound the same on an oatmeal box with rubber bands!
            This is a fairly common misconception, one that I shared for a long time until I actually tried EMGs in a variety of guitars. There is definately the same tonal variation when using EMGs as there is will passive pickups. That said, they do have a distinctive sound all there own which you can hear regardless of the guitar you put them into.
            -------------------------
            Blank yo!

Comment

I would think it would be very shrill and thin on a maple body.Try it anyway it might be killer who knows.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Yep, it never hurts to try. I'm trying a Duncan Distortion in a 750XL. It's not a recommended combo (recommended would be a JB or Custom) but it's very dark, brutal, and very powerful. It truely sounds like no other guitar I've ever played before. I thought my LP Classic with the ceramic 496R/500T high output pickups would sound like it, but these sound more "vintage-like" than the Duncan Distortion 750XL combo.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP
                  I would really think it would be "over the top" way too bright. EMG81's have lot's of brightness, and in a maple body, that's just asking for it.

I think you would be happier with an EMG85.
                  +1

an 81 in a guitar with a maple fretboard is over the top, maple body would be even worse than that.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk
                    This is a fairly common misconception, one that I shared for a long time until I actually tried EMGs in a variety of guitars. There is definately the same tonal variation when using EMGs as there is will passive pickups. That said, they do have a distinctive sound all there own which you can hear regardless of the guitar you put them into.
                    Yeah, I suppose there are probably subtleties that I don't hear, but my ears aren't what they used to be! As far as it being a misconception, I dunno, I have three axes with 81's and all are different body wood. One is maple/mahogany, one is basswood, and the other is alder. With the same tuning, amp settings, etc., I really can't tell a difference in tone, but what I do notice is the sustain of the notes. The mah/maple has sustain for days compared to the others. Rather than call it a misconception, let's call it individual perception.

Comment

In a maple body, no way would I use an 81 in the bridge.

I had a set of the 25th anniversary chrome 81s in my old Hamer Special that was a mahogany body/neck and flamed maple top, I kept the tone control on 5 most of the time to tame the brightness. Though, the 81 in the bridge definitely had more low end to it than the lame Duncan JB that it had before.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I had an 81 in a maple body. It was very bright. Switched to an 85 and it sounds so much better.
                        http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

Thanks alot guys. I never did like the sound of my old Electra Phoenix. Now I know why. I didn't know it at the tme but it was the maple body. Very tiney sounding.

Now I'm doing an old Westone body. Virtually the same body except for the pup config and neck pocket.

it's routed for a FR too. That'd be most definately over the top. Well the 81s are out.

Besides 85s what are some good pickups that are warm sounding in a maple bod?

Comment

I definitely do not agree with the emgs sound the same in all guitars theory!
                            I think that in a bright axe the 81 will slice right through the mix and in a darker toned guitar it sounds like a sledgehammer!
                            with a all maple body and i am guessing a OFR you may prefer the 85 or a 89 for coil tapping options
                            I myself am friggin nuts over the 81's overall tone and tightness so i use it in alder,mahogany,maple,basswood,koa,or whatever the guitar is made from
                            the 81 to me just has a perfect signature for metal and heavier music
                            If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

Originally posted by mm2002
                              That's wrong for sure. They are affected by the body to an audible degree.
                              You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Working...
                              X