Black Hardware Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Hardware Questions

1. Cleaning: On my other guitars, I've always just wiped the chrome hardware down while polishing the body. On my new DK2, every time I wipe the knobs, strap buttons, etc., the cloth turns black...is that paint coming off? We're just talking Dunlop cleaner, nothing fancy or abrasive. What should I use? Generally speaking (black hardware or not), is there any real difference between Dunlop, Kyser, Fender, etc.?

2. Posts & Blades: When I lowered the bridge, the knife edges cut a ring of paint off around the posts, and you can see metal underneath (well, its under the baseplate, not really visible unless you're snooping).

Is black hardware on the imports really that fvcking delicate that you can't touch it without the paint coming off?!

hmm. have you left your guitar near a radiator that's on full whack? either that or it's the same principle as that everything is built to a cost. pay peanuts: get monkeys. pay top whack: get quality that lasts.
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

I've heard that they use Krylon on the DK2 hardware.
      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Even with an OFR the black wears off in time. Black is a paint, and paint wears off (unless you paint with heavy duty shit), while chrome is a plating (chemically bonded). Even gold (that is chemically bonded) will rub away. Look at older Les Paul Customs.

Comment

Originally posted by mm2002
          I've heard that they use Krylon on the DK2 hardware.

Comment

everything wears away eventually, the cheaper stuff will go faster though, although it shouldnt just wipe off with a cloth like that~!

Comment

I understand it should come off in time, but this is a brand-new 2006 DK2! And no, no radiator or other heat source, in fact if I'm not playing it, its in the case. What do you guys clean black hardware with?

Also, what about the posts and knife edges...how do you guys adjust your bridge without cutting the paint off? I guess if I loosened all the strings so there was less tension it might make a difference, but for fvck's sake, I can't even adjust the bridge without the finish falling off?!

I was impressed with how solid and well-built this thing felt until now...

Comment

using any cleaning material or polish on the hardware is wrong! you can't go any wronger then that and you will by all means ruin the nickle, scrap off the black, and take off the GoLd!
                In other words.. use nothing what soever to clean the hardware, only a smooth 100% cotton cloth.. like a shirt perhaps and it shall be just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by ewright
                  I understand it should come off in time, but this is a brand-new 2006 DK2! And no, no radiator or other heat source, in fact if I'm not playing it, its in the case. What do you guys clean black hardware with?

Also, what about the posts and knife edges...how do you guys adjust your bridge without cutting the paint off? I guess if I loosened all the strings so there was less tension it might make a difference, but for fvck's sake, I can't even adjust the bridge without the finish falling off?!

I was impressed with how solid and well-built this thing felt until now...
                  I cleaned up my dxmg's jt-580lp yesterday. I even used some alcohol and no problem. No paint coming off or anything...

Does the hardware get pale as you wipe it? If not maybe it can be some kind of oil or something that the dealer used to protect the hardware?

You know sometimes guitars stand on the shelves for a long time and you should do something to prevent the hardware from corrosion or whatever can be
                  Check my bands!
                  www.myspace.com/magicktr
                  www.myspace.com/sinif64
                  www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

Originally posted by NextInLine
                    I cleaned up my dxmg's jt-580lp yesterday. I even used some alcohol and no problem. No paint coming off or anything...

Does the hardware get pale as you wipe it? If not maybe it can be some kind of oil or something that the dealer used to protect the hardware?

You know sometimes guitars stand on the shelves for a long time and you should do something to prevent the hardware from corrosion or whatever can be
                    No, the hardware doesn't seem to look any different. Just black on the cloth. If it was only the knobs, I'd assume it was dirt from my fingers, but strap buttons and tuners do it too.

Comment

Strange! What happens when you touch them? Do your fingers get black also? If so I'd take it to the dealer, if not, someone should teach you how to slowly wipe your guitar
                      Check my bands!
                      www.myspace.com/magicktr
                      www.myspace.com/sinif64
                      www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

Working...
                      X