EMGs are strarting to piss me off.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMGs are strarting to piss me off.

The first time I tried to wire up my King V with EMGs I had a problem. It sounded really thin and weak. I don't know what the problem was for sure, but the volume pot was very scratchy, so I bought new pots, and rewired the whole guitar AGAIN. This time it's completely dead. I plugged in to my tuner to tune the guitar up before I plugged it in, and half way through tuning the high E, it went completely fucking dead. What the hell is the problem. I'm stumped. I wired it EXACTLY as it shows on the EMG site.

I am pissed off.
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

check ur output jak is a stereo one i had a problem like that and because i didn't have the rite output jack it was short circuiting my emgs and completely fucking up the electronics..i also had the scratchy thing as well...sounds very similar..get it checked to make sure everybit of hardware will suit an emg set otherwise you could fry ur guitar and i was told that if this happens the is a considerable danger of frying the emgs

Comment

Did you buy the set new or used? If it didn't come with all the original electronics, it might be the pots you're using (should be 25k). Or like sonicsamurai said, it might be the jack, and if you've left the battery in there it will constantly be sucking it up, and dying batts sound like arse in EMGs.

Comment

Zeegs has been there and done that. Check the soldering. This is coming from a guy who will one day whip out the iron and probably burn his fingers and maybe his trailer. But when I get set, I have a lots of soldering to do. See Ya Later with all the problems I'm sure I will have.
        I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Also, make sure you have plenty of room for the stereo phone jack. It maybe grounding out and foiling your good wiring job. Try taking the jack out and let it hang. Connect your guitar cord and test it with the jack outside of the guitar. You might even have to take a Dremel sander to the inside diameter. I have had to do that on many guitars. The stock 7/8" is just not enough clearance in many cases.
          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Sounds like an input jack,battery,solder problem. Did you buy them as a complete kit.Its easy to mess up just retrace your steps with the instructions you do have them don't you.EMGs web site may be able to help you.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Yeah guys, I've checked everything. brand new 25k pots, brand new batteries, brand new stereo switchcraft jack, new toggle switch. Wiring has been done METICULOUSLY. Damn.

Comment

Zeeg, EMGs don't like you... you suck!
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Try this http://cgi.ebay.com/CLA-INSIGHT-7000...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

I'm glad you guys don't work for me. I'd have to fire your asses.

Has anyone had an EMG pickup go bad? Is it possible?

At this rate, I'm so annoyed, I'm going to put it in the case for another 2 months, and then maybe try again. One day, I will get this goddamn thing working. Oh yes, I will!!!

Comment

I didn't want to say it 'cus I have a lot of EMGs I will play with. Sure, it's possible. And it sounds, or doesn't sound , likely. You are scarring me.:ROTF: :ROTF:

Comment

Did you during the soldering over heat the pots this WILL make them fail.If you try to heat the wire and pot together then solder you can get the pot too hot.Heat the pot first while touching solder to it and build a small pool of solder,then heat the wire enough melt some solder to the wire,then re heat the solder on the pot and touch the wire to it and it will make a clean connection.I'm sure you already know this but maybe it will help someone else out.
                        Please don't take offense to my post I didn't mean it that way. Are these the quick connect type EMGs the problem may be there.I doubt the pickup itself is bad but its possible.
                        Last edited by straycat; 06-28-2006, 05:07 PM.
                        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

EMG's rule! Then again my ampdoctor messes with them!
                          I love admins!

Comment

EMG's rule. However, I have a pro install mine because I suck at that shit. Never had a problem with them.

Comment

zeegler, I just thought of this one. Do your EMG's have the modular plugs? In this case, the plugs are not polarized. I confirmed this with EMG several months ago. (It was a cost issue) Unplug the connection and turn one side 180 degrees and plug the connection in. Should work now. It happened to me.
                              Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Working...
                              X