string gauge and Floyd Rose question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• string gauge and Floyd Rose question

Last guitar I had with a Floyd Rose type tremolo, the store told me that lighter gauges of strings work better with these units. I prefer heavier strings, either 11s or 12s. Would this make stringing the guitar and/or use of the Floyd not as good if I were to use 9s instead? Thanks,

Nathaniel

You can use heavier strings if you wish.Then use however many springs it takes to get the feel you like.Should work fine.I've used 11s before.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I think they officially say it works better with 10's or less, but as long as you can intonate it the bridge should function fine

Comment

If you are tuning down they should be alright what are the gauges for all 6 strings. The lower E string might be to thick ? Also do you have bushing and pivot screw or just wood screw for the Floyd if you tune to standard tuning the preasure on them might be to much & push them forward. Use all 5 springs.

Comment

im using 11-50 right now and it works perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by jtr
            If you are tuning down they should be alright what are the gauges for all 6 strings. The lower E string might be to thick ? Also do you have bushing and pivot screw or just wood screw for the Floyd if you tune to standard tuning the preasure on them might be to much & push them forward. Use all 5 springs.
            I use GHS Guitar Boomers 11, 15, 18 (Unwound), 26, 36, 50. After reading this info, I think 12s might be a stretch. I normally don't tune down. I sold my last guitar with a Floyd, it has 9s on it, I never bothered to change them, but in the future, I'm just curious if it would even work w/my string preference. Thanks for everyone's responses.

That's good to know PallarAndersVisa, that's exactly what I use.

Comment

Thats heavy top light bottoms so they should be OK you'll probably need more then 3 springs to conter balance the pull on the high strings.

Comment

Any string combo is going to work IMO. It's a fulcrum and the counter is provided by the spring tension. Cranking down on the claw screws and/or adding springs will take care of the balance. I've run as high as .011-.060 in standard tuning.
                Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Cool info!

Comment

The only problem with heavier strings on a floyd is the amount of spring tension required to balance the bridge. You have greater opposing-tension pulling on both sides of the bridge which gives it a rigid feel...too clunky for me. I like my floyds to have a silky smooth throw. IMO, I think 009-042 works best.
                    ------------------------------------------------
                    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons...for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Just like wicked said I think 9s or 10s would be best.
                      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                      X