EMG 81 vs 85 in the bridge postion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG 81 vs 85 in the bridge postion?

Before i buy a 60 for the neck i was wondering if i should get a 85?
    that way i can try it in the bridge spot and if i like it there put the 81 in the neck?
    i have a 81 in the bridge right now in a alder jackson
    anyone here try both at the bridge?
    which is better to you?
    Last edited by savage; 06-22-2006, 10:46 AM.
    If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

I didn't try 81 in the bridge, but I really like 85 in the bridge.

Comment

Originally posted by Nazgul
      I didn't try 81 in the bridge, but I really like 85 in the bridge.
      I really like the dimarzio tone zone which has great burn and is very fat
      i want a active version of that and was hoping the 85 is it?
      If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

deleted
        Last edited by SGplayer; 07-14-2006, 11:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by savage
          I really like the dimarzio tone zone which has great burn and is very fat
          i want a active version of that and was hoping the 85 is it?
          I saw many threads on different forums asking about passive alternative to emg 85 and they always suggested tone zone, so I think it may work. also look into these: http://www.swinesheadpickups.co.uk/xbucker.shtml .

BTW, I never tried tone zone or that swineshead.

Comment

+1 for the 85 for the bridge. I had a RR and bought a 81/85 just because this seemed to be a popular combination. With the 81 in the bridge, it was too bright so I swapped the pickups around. The 85 in the bridge had more mid range and suited my style/sound a lot better. BTW, the 81 in the neck sounded like crap.
            No honey, I have always had this Jackson....

Comment

Originally posted by Big Al
              the 81 in the neck sounded like crap.
              really i was hoping to use it there if the 85 sounded real good in the bridge

Comment

85 = more rock and roll.
                81 = more metal.
                Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

My KV1 had an 81 in the bridge. It sounded great, but was a little on the treble side. I have an 85 to try in it, but haven't got around to rewiring it yet.
                  Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel
                    85 = more rock and roll.
                    81 = more metal.

really?
                    I heard the 85 has more output and punch/lows than the 81 and that to me =METAL too?

Comment

nothing beats dual 81s..

the 85 in bridge position is overrated.. I really don't get why people like it so much.. matter of taste probably
                      "I hate these filthy neutrals! With enemies, you know where they stand. But with neutrals... who knows? It sickens me!"

Comment

Originally posted by savage
                        really i was hoping to use it there if the 85 sounded real good in the bridge
                        Keep in mind it was through my amp (5150 & single Rect) and it's just my opinion.
                        The 85/bridge just gave me more chunk than the 81.
                        No honey, I have always had this Jackson....

Comment

originally i was going to get a 60 for the neck and leave the 81 at the bridge
                          the guitar came with a 81 there but has a passive emg HZ neck pup
                          i want a active neck and bridge set up
                          anyway i figured IF the 85 was the chunkier and a more dimarzio tone zone sounding pup i would buy one and move the 81 to the neck instead of getting the 60 for the neck?
                          I could just buy a 60 and a 85 and sell the one i dont want to keep so i can hear all three!
                          the emg is so friggin easy to swap out with those quick connect plugs!

Comment

Keep in mind it was through my amp (5150 & single Rect) and it's just my opinion.
                            The 85/bridge just gave me more chunk than the 81.
                            my amp is a engl powerball

Comment

BTW, the 81 in the neck sounded like crap.
                              I actually think the 81 sounds better in the neck than an 85. Not that there's anything wrong with the 85 in the neck, but I like the 85 better in the bridge with either an 81 or 60 in the neck.
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X