Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Neck thickness-Jackson and Ibanez in mm's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neck thickness-Jackson and Ibanez in mm's?

I love the thinness of Ibanez necks and would love to get that or close on a Jackson.
    Specifically like the old Ibanez 540s ltd I used to own which I assume was the Wizard neck.

From what I have found ( if these numbers are correct) it looks like the Ibanez neck is 17mm(.6693 ") at the 1st fret and 20mm (.7874") at the 12th.

For a comparison The SL-1 I own says that at the 3rd fret it is - .790" (20mm) and .850" (21.59mm) at the 12th.

When I ordered my Customshop I was unaware you could specify your own thickness for an upcharge. So at the time I put down "speed neck/KV" which sounded like the thinnest but I have never played one to actually know.

Anyone know the specs on the "speed neck"? I'm just wondering if that would be to my liking or if I should just go all out and specify something thinner.

I noticed this from jcmktgguy in the ask Jackson section. "Honestly, we'll never get it EXACT, but we can get pretty darn close. The hand craftsmanship that goes into these guitars makes EXACT duplication impossible. Anyone who tells you they can match it exactly is lying.

Your work order should have the fret size, etc. You'll need to take measurements at the 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, and 12th frets for us to get as close as possible. Specify the D shape, along with the measurements and that should do it."

Would just saying I want a thin Ibanez Wizard like neck 1st-17mm,12th-20mm be enough info? I dont have a caliper or anything to measure all the frets.

Thanks in advance for any info.

I ordered my XTRR with the old SD 'flat spot' D profile... with thickness of .725 @ 3rd, .800 at the 12th, which is somewhere between a Wizard and WizardII neck. I've owned 3 different guitars with this profile, a 1984 Student Soloist, a 1995 Custom Warrior and a 1996 Custom KV. This is my favorite neck backshape/profile.

.700 @ 3rd, .800 @ 12th D profile (flat spot)
    .750 @ 3rd, .810 @ 12th Dinky Profile
    .775 @ 3rd, .835 @ 12th Speed Neck
    .790 @ 3rd, .850 @ 12th Soloist Profile

There are several other common Jackson profiles, like the original Rhoads profile, and the baseball bat profile... which I don't have the measurements of.

Hope that helps!
    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

First of all, I'd say that subtle changes in neck measurements mean a lot. KV "speed" neck feels noticeably thinner than SL neck, and the measurements difference is just 0.015" - it's the G string thickness only!!! Basically the difference is within a couple of sandpaper strokes )))
      You may have different neck profiles even with the same thickness measurements at two points. And the will feel VERY different.

Fretboard radius and frets size affect overall feel too.
      Last edited by Carbophos; 06-21-2006, 01:20 AM.
      Because I don't say it
      Doesn't mean I ain't thinking it

Comment

I don't know the exact dimensions, but I can tell you that the neck on my new DK2 (2006) is noticeably fatter than that on my old DK2 (2004), and more "C" shaped.

I personally preferred the thinner neck, but in every other imaginable way, the new guitar is just more solid and high-quality feeling.

Comment

what is the kelly's measurements? and do all the different kelly's(pro,XLR,profesional,performer) got the really thin fast wizard type neck?

Comment

I just ordered 2 CS soloists with .700 at the 3rd and .800 at the 12th - not as thin as my RG 565 but close. It was a PITA to get Jackson to do it...

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Rocks View Post
              I just ordered 2 CS soloists with .700 at the 3rd and .800 at the 12th - not as thin as my RG 565 but close. It was a PITA to get Jackson to do it...
              that sounds very close to the D flat spot neck Xeno ordered. the old flat spot profile is my favorite, assuming that is the profile and size of the dimas era pointy bolton necks. i have an 86 soloist that has the flat spot profile but it was ordered with 1 3/4" nut, surprisingly you dont notice the width so much, for me its almost the perfect neck.

Comment

It's close to the SD pointies, but a little flatter on the backside. There is a noticeable flat spot along the back that the SD pointies or my Strathead, don't have, for example. FWIW, my strathead is very close to that D profile, it has the extra meat along the radius that connects to the fretboard where it is thicker than most necks, but at the arch, it's flat and thin, except my strat has a little more meat on the back, but not by much. The mid to late 90's CS neck-throughs are where I've found the most of the guitars with this specific profile. It's not common on USA Selects through the period though, where many of them got speed necks.
                The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by j2379 View Post
                  that sounds very close to the D flat spot neck Xeno ordered. the old flat spot profile is my favorite, assuming that is the profile and size of the dimas era pointy bolton necks. i have an 86 soloist that has the flat spot profile but it was ordered with 1 3/4" nut, surprisingly you dont notice the width so much, for me its almost the perfect neck.
                  Oops - It's .700" at the third and .780" at the 12th (not .800). This is the same as my MIJ soloist XL pro. And yes, I too ordered these with a 1.75" nut. Again, it was like pulling teeth to get Jackson to commit to doing this - why I don't know.

Comment

Working...
                  X