what kinda glue to put in neck pocket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what kinda glue to put in neck pocket

I know todays modern guitars shouldnt need glue to keep a steady neck joint but I have a question regarding a friends guitar. IT's an early 90's Ibanez RG guitar, and Im not sure if it was a sloppy fit, or years of abuse and weart and tear, but it seems like the neck is "shifting minute amounts" in the pocket. HE loves the guitart and asked if it would be safe to put some glue in there to keep it steady without destroying it perchance he finds a new body.

Anyhow, he's not internet forum savvy, so he asked me to find out if theres any good solution to put in there to keep the neck steady and not prone to minor shifts?! Would a light film of silicone do the job, or would common houe glue do the trick?!? I wouldnt use wood glue obviously. Any help is appreciated!

Don't use glue, use a piece of sandpaper or something

Comment

Yeah, use a piece of self adhesive 80 or 100 grit sandpaper. Stick it in the neck pocket and bolt the neck back down. To get the screws fitting tight again, put a piece of toothpick in each of the screw holes in the neck. That should make it good as new again.
      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Sandpaper or window screen (the metal type). Both will lock it down with zero movement once the screws are properly torqued.
        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Don't do what I did. I read in a mag back around '80 that you could use 2 faced carpet tape. Bad Idea!

I did this on a Matsumoku built (I think) Cortez LP copy. now I wanna do a refin and can't get the neck off the darn thing.

Comment

I second the metal window screen. Great idea.
            I'm not Ron!

Comment

Don't use glue.

Use Paste.
              It tastes better.

Comment

if there's not a gap in the pocket, you can also drop a few drops of super glue into the screw holes in the neck heel; the bite of the screws will be back.
                Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                Sully Guitars on Facebook
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by mm2002
                  To get the screws fitting tight again, put a piece of toothpick in each of the screw holes in the neck. That should make it good as new again.
                  that helped me tonight man, thank you!

putting on straplocks and had a stripped hole. the toothpick piece worked great.
                  the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Originally posted by skorb
                    that helped me tonight man, thank you!

putting on straplocks and had a stripped hole. the toothpick piece worked great.
                    Yeah, I did the exact same operation on my 750XL a couple months ago.

Comment

Working...
                    X