question about locking tuners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about locking tuners

I have a JDM grover jackson neck/string thru Kelly with gotoh tuners that doesn't stay in tune very well. i was curious if the sperzel locking tuners are a direct replacement or will new holes need to be tapped? in your opinion is this a good idea? will this devalue my axe? also i would like to get anyone's opinion on how well these tuners work. any info will be appreciated. thanks.

also is there a locking tuner replacement for mine (gotoh 510's) by another manufacturer other than sperzel?
    Last edited by rfazano; 06-20-2006, 08:04 PM.

Planet Waves locking tuners are a direct replacement for Jacksons if your concerned with the screw holes being visible. Sperzels are my fav! Both Sperzel and Schaller locking tuners require a small hole to be drilled for a locating pin underneath the tuner housing. I think it is 5/64", but they come with instructions and is on center. If you go this way, you will have left over screw holes to look at or fill in. The Sperzel's are worth it to me.
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal65
      Both Sperzel and Schaller locking tuners require a small hole to be drilled for a locating pin underneath the tuner housing.
      I don't know about the Schallers, but the Sperzel pin can easily be pulled out with a pair of pliers.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam
        I don't know about the Schallers, but the Sperzel pin can easily be pulled out with a pair of pliers.
        That's true it's a "roll pin". Easy enough, just tighten down your hex nut on the face of the headstock securely.
        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

anyone ever try the Grover locking tuners?

I have an older Washburn WMS model that I need to get some locking tuners for it has Grover tuning pegs now. Grover said that their 106Model will be an exact replacement, but I never heard anyone say anything good or bad about their locking tuners (they use a different type of locking mechanisim than most, I think).

thanks

Comment

The Grover locking tuners work just fine.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

...Both Sperzel and Schaller locking tuners require a small hole to be drilled for a locating pin underneath the tuner housing...
              Not exactly true. As you can see, at least Schaller M6 Locking Tuners (2020) fit without modifikation. No drilling whatsoever needed.

Comment

I thought I should chime in with my "review" of the Planet Waves Auto Trim locking tuners I installed on my KVX10. Just for anyone considering a set.

I bought the chrome set, but the actual tuner and the string clamp wheel on the back are black. They look pretty cool. The tuning peg is a slight different shape than the Gotoh's. They look like the Schaller M6 ones.

They installed with no effort at all. They fit perfectly and even come with screws that were exactly the same size as the ones in the Jackson Gotohs. A monkey could do this mod, so I won't bother explaining.

Stringing them up was easy as pie, but there's a couple of things to note.

1. Insert the string through the opening on the tuner where the silver stud is located and hold the string tight. The string clamp located on the back of the tuner must be loosened considerably first, Especially for thicker strings. Some folks in another thread were worried that the holes would not be big enough for heavy gauge strings, but I was putting on a set of Dean Markley Jazz strings, and there was no problems sliding the .54 through.

2. Tighten string clamp located on the back of the tuner.

3. Tune up the guitar and the string will automatically be cut. This scared the fuck out of me at first because as I was tuning up, the peg got harder and harder to turn until I seriously thought I was going to break it. Then "click!" and the string end falls of. Don't be scared by this. It's worse for the top 3 strings as they are thicker and require more effort to cut. Just go slowly and it will be fine.

Post install...

After stretching them for a bit and tuning (I tune to C standard - C, F, Bb, Eb, G, C) I played the hell out of my King V for about 2 hours with my newly purchased Metal Pack on my XT Live. I bent strings, shredded out some leads, hammered the top C string with a bunch of chugga-chugga riffing and generally bludgeoned my guitar and the damn things stayed perfectly in tune. With the old Jackson Gotoh set that came stock, i would have had to tune up a couple of times, but not now.

I highly recommend these babies for non-floyded Jacksons. I will definetly buy another set of these for the JS30KE I plan buying and modding.
                Last edited by Nuclear Vampire; 06-25-2006, 08:13 AM.
                THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

Originally posted by juka
                  Not exactly true. As you can see, at least Schaller M6 Locking Tuners (2020) fit without modifikation. No drilling whatsoever needed.

Cool! Where did you find those? I need to move to Germany! The locking Schallers imported to the States do not have the "ears" for the mounting screw. The only one's I've seen here are the Sperzel locator pin type! Good to know these Schallers are made

Comment

Interesting, I found this site with Gotoh locking tuners. They should fit exactly.http://www.universaljems.com/cart/tuner6inlinelock.htm

Comment

Cool! Where did you find those? I need to move to Germany! The locking Schallers imported to the States do not have the "ears" for the mounting screw. The only one's I've seen here are the Sperzel locator pin type! Good to know these Schallers are made
                      No, you don't have to move to Germany.

Warmoth, for example, has them...called "Schaller Mini Locking Tuners".

I don't know, if I'm allowed to post the direct link, but I think it's easy to find.

Comment

thanks guys! I think i'll try the schallers.

Comment

Working...
                        X