No announcement yet.

Mixing a EMG 81 with a passive EMG HZ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixing a EMG 81 with a passive EMG HZ?

real quick question?
    I bought a used jackson that has a EMG 81 at the bridge and the stock EMGHZ h3 pup that the original owner left at the neck.
    my question is right now BOTH are wired to the EMG 25K pots and that is a
    passives sound like MUD with a 25K
    should i get the 1meg pot for the passive EMG for the most output and treble or just a 500K?
    the 81 will be independent to it's 25K with no tone pot and the H3 will be independent with a 500K or this 1meg?
    I have to wait a bit to get a EMG 60 for the neck so i will be using the H3 out of necessity for a while
    If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

500K should do the job. That's also what Jackson uses as stock I think.

Comment

You can also wire seperate volume controls to each pickup until you replace the passive. Or another alternative is to wire an EMG PA-2 to the passive to match the impedence.

Comment

Originally posted by piranhaguy2002a
        You can also wire seperate volume controls to each pickup until you replace the passive. Or another alternative is to wire an EMG PA-2 to the passive to match the impedence.
        yeah i will do the seperate pots for each method
        anyone ever try a 1meg pot?
        these are supposed to let more signal through than the 500K?
        the 81 has mega output so i need the passive to have as much output as possible without buying the PA-2
        If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

Yeah, I think that a 1M pot would give you more output and treble, since less of the signal would seep away to ground. It was long ago I messed with mixing pots though, and I always seem to misremember how it works... :P

Comment

I've tried a 1 meg pot in one of my Soloists. It allows more signal to pass, I didn't notice too much of a treble boost though.

Comment

I've tried a 1 meg pot in one of my Soloists. It allows more signal to pass, I didn't notice too much of a treble boost though.
              I am really after getting the most output from the passive HZ h3 to at least sort of keep up with the mighty 81's output

Comment

Get an EMG PA-2 would be my suggestion.

Comment

Get an EMG PA-2 would be my suggestion.
                  the pot is much cheaper!
                  Plus the passive pup is very temp i will be getting another active ASAP
                  but in the mean time i need the passive to sound at its best

Comment

I'd go for the 1M. Why?

1. It's in the neck - you want the brightness
                    2. If it's too bright, an easy (not the best) fix would be to take a 1M resistor from the hot outside lug to ground, in effect making it like a 500K. Or, just turn the F'ing volume down (duh, why didn't I think of that LOL!).

It's easy to kill the highs, but impossible to put them back if you have mud from loading down the pickups.

Comment

Working...
                    X