Repairing Busted Pivot Holes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repairing Busted Pivot Holes

Those who have seen, or worse ... have experienced busted pivot holes know it's not a pretty sight.

By the looks of things, this guitar had already been plugged a couple times and the wood is cracked in several places.

Just thought I'd post some pics showing one way how to make a repair.
    First, I plugged the holes with dowels. Not as a repair, but to provide a solid base for what lies beneath.

Then I routed past the damaged wood and created a flat, level surface with a router. The pattern was just done "freehand" because I knew it would all eventually be concealed.

I then fabricated the new section of wood.
    Using glue and two 1-1/2" countersunk screws, I secured the new piece of wood.
    The screws not only served to secure the new piece, but it also eliminated the need for any bulky clamps. You'll also notice that I purposely left a good portion of the existing wood as not to jeopardize the integrity of the repair.

This guitar was also in need of some attention to the neck pocket area.
    This was actually to my advantage, as routing down further in the neck pocket enabled me to position the new pivot holes safely away from any cavity walls and still maintain the proper distance.
    ("Before" pics on left / "After" pics on right)

BTW, I don't make a habit out of painting neck pockets, but that's how I recieved the guitar and I didn't want to return the guitar with signs of any obvious repairs. And in this case, the additional paint shouldn't have any effect.

Here's what the repair looks like so far ...
    I skimmed the surface with Dolphin glaze to help fill cracks and to also help fill the grain of the wood. When it dries and is sanded, it should also serve as a good primer for when I do the touch-ups.

Though I will take the time to do touchups and make this repair as un-noticable as possible, it will all be covered by the pickgaurd and totally undetectable.

Thanks for looking.

wow, nice work!
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Thanks for posting! Always interesting to watch repair jobs. I see you're running a little too high rpm's on the router... or maybe a worn router bit?
      Henrik
      AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Great job.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Nice job! Looks like a very solid repair. And, it was cool that you could move the neck inward so the posts would have more wood to bear against. Kinda killed two birds with one stone there huh!
          My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Thanks for the compliments guys.
            Touchups are done, so I thought I'd share a pic of the finished repair.

Thanks again for looking.

Comment

Wow. Superb repair job
              Henrik
              AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

that looks to be VERY professionally done!

Comment

What type of wood did you use?

Thanks, Max

Comment

Originally posted by maxboost
                    What type of wood did you use?

Thanks, Max

The body is basswood.
                    The new section of wood is poplar.

It's not as hard as say maple, but it's alot easier to work with and is harder than basswood IMO.
                    Last edited by Model1VH2; 06-19-2006, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Nice job, bro.
                      I'm not Ron!

Comment

I learned alot from this repair. I actually have a older axe that had similar problems so I used your ideas for repairing that axe tonight! Thanks. Hopefully mine will turn out as good and work well.

Comment

Originally posted by sgray
                          I learned alot from this repair. I actually have a older axe that had similar problems so I used your ideas for repairing that axe tonight! Thanks. Hopefully mine will turn out as good and work well.

That's awesome!
                          Hope it all works out for you.

What part of Maryland are you from?

Comment

Sweet job! How'd you get the position of the studs just right? Use a template?

Comment

My guitar!!

See my post in "Gutars By Other Manufacturers" for finished pics!!!

It came out great!

Dino rules! Almost every day I got an update with pics...talk about customer service.

Mike
                              Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Working...
                              X