guitar storage for long periods of time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• guitar storage for long periods of time

I'll be heading out to college soon so I won't have the opportunity to look after my guitars. I have hardshell cases for all of them, but what should I do to prep them for long term storage?

there is alternative to hardshells you know...send the guitars to me!

Comment

I knew someone would reply with that ^

Comment

If they're staying in their normal locations at your folks' place I'd just put them in their cases and let them be. Some of mine have been stored strung and tuned to pitch for long periods of time with no ill effects.
        Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Originally posted by YetAnotherOne
          If they're staying in their normal locations at your folks' place I'd just put them in their cases and let them be. Some of mine have been stored strung and tuned to pitch for long periods of time with no ill effects.
          +1
          -Rick

Comment

leave em at your parents house if you can. i leave a few of mine here and they're fine. i dunno about a storage facility though, most of them arent air conditioned

Comment

I'd recommend a thorough cleaning of the guitars before you pack them up. My guitars sat at home in their cases for about a year when I first joined the Navy. When I came home and opened the cases, I saw all the black hardware had started to corrode along with the frets. Definitely not a good thing to experience after over a year waiting to play my guitars again. Throwing some dessicant in the cases might help too.
              EAOS: 28JUN09

Comment

i would lightly cover the metal pieces with oil and leave them in case away from heat sources or direct sun light

Comment

Some "experts" recommend detuning a step,others say it doesn't matter!!Just make sure the guitars are clean/dry & in correct cases,headstocks should not be resting on the bottom of cases!!& don't stack your cases on top of eachother,line 'em up like books on a shelf & be sure they're stored in a consistant temp/humidity!!

5....4....3....2....1....!!

Comment

What would be a "safe" temperature range for a solid body guitar? I have guitars stacked in closets and under beds but I need the closet space now. I could build some storage racks in the garage but in the summer it gets to be 98° and the winter it may drop down to 35° (in the garage).
                    I keep telling my wife we need to move so I can get a house with an extra room just for guitars but not much luck with that so far.
                    No honey, I have always had this Jackson....

Comment

Room temp is always best!!Anywhere you'd be uncomfortable is too hot or cold for your guitar!!

& again,don't stack cases on top of eachother,line 'em up like books on a shelf!!

5....4....3....2....1....!!

Comment

Working...
                      X