Flood took my gear - any suggestions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flood took my gear - any suggestions.

well my basement flooded 15 inches on wednesday. my wireless and pod xtl were completely submerged as well as all the bottom speakers of all our cabs.

i'm drying out the electronics now and will not connect power to them to test them untill next wed.

the back baffles of the cabs swelled enough to where i couldn't get them off to get the water out. so i left the bottom row of screws out and leaned them at an angle to let the water drain out the screw holes.

any suggestions to try and salvage my shit would be greatly appreciated.

~john E.
    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Dam dude, sorry to hear.
    I was at work, being totally naive and watching the deluge until my dad sent an email with pic from WRAL of area just down the road that has never flooded that I recall.

Rest of the day I was sweatin bullets cause I have a nice creek behind me that good rain can swell up to it's banks as a raging river. Don't know how, but it still failed to break the banks. Thank god.

If I were in your shoes, I'd open the electronics and dry them with a hot hair dryer to remove water as fast as possible. Air drying takes longer and will promote corrosion. Get em dry ASAP. Depending on the complexity of the hardware, gear may work just the same, but all it takes is one component that can't mix with water and there's trouble.

Speakers are another problem, I'd think any water getting behind the spider? behind the cones into the magnet leaving behind any grit will create friction. They'll work but just not right. Speakers will likely have to be replaced as glues will fail, cones will lose rigidity etc.
    Nothing from experience, just what I'd think would happen.

Comment

Did you have Flood Insurance?
      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Man, I'm sorry to hear about that! I had a very similar experience a couple of years ago and it wasn't any fun. Audiophile's idea about the hair dryer is a good one. Get that shit dried out asap! I do hope you had insurance.
        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Originally posted by audiophile
          If I were in your shoes, I'd open the electronics and dry them with a hot hair dryer to remove water as fast as possible. Air drying takes longer and will promote corrosion. Get em dry ASAP. Depending on the complexity of the hardware, gear may work just the same, but all it takes is one component that can't mix with water and there's trouble.
          I like to use Isoprophyl Alcohol on either a q-tip or a rag and go over anything you think will corrode. The IPA will evaporate, and it's good for stopping or removing oxidation. My 2 yr old dropped my cell phone in a glass of water, and it was 2 days before I was able to get a torx driver small enough to open it up. Wiped (almost soaked) everything real well, but it back together the next day and it worked. Only problem was the battery took awhile to work, and I've been using the phone for th past 7 months.

Comment

Put everything in an enclosed room with a dehumidifier. You would not believe how much water those things draw out of the air.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

I had an apartment flood about four years ago same deal like two feet of water.My amp,effect pedals,stereo receiver and sub woofer were all under water.The owners of the building had a clean up company come in with a huge dehumidifier for about three days.Unbelievably I did not lose any of it.If you have a closet large enough or a small room stick the stuff in there with a dehumidifier and let it dry out really well before you plug anything back in.Best of luck man I know how much this sucks,hope it all works out for you.

Comment

Working...
              X