Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you guys paint a neckthrough guitar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you guys paint a neckthrough guitar?

Slight problem.....I bought a heavy duty "u" bolt and screwed it into one of my garage's ceiling joists, the guitar hangs upside down and I'm able to have access to all sides, but I noticed that the bolt is starting to pull away and the wood is starting to split, so I'm guessing the weight of the guitar will eventually pull the bolt out, sending it crashing headstock first to the ground.

What do you guys use? If you made a homemade jig, can you post a pic? the only other option I see is to paint one side of the guitar on a bench, then paint the back when the front dries, but that will take forever and I risk damaging the side I just painted and not getting all surfaces evenly.

Coat hanger through one of the tuner holes on the headstock?
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Yeah, I was thinking that or a long ass nail, but no matter what, I think the inevitability will be cleaning out my garage to finish this project

Comment

that's what i do.

Originally posted by RacerX
        Coat hanger through one of the tuner holes on the headstock?
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I use a new strap button screw into very good threads. That is if they are worn the body is drilled and plugged and re-tapped for the end strap screw. I use a washer that fits the strap button with a hole drilled on each side to accept aircraft stainless steel safety wire. A short harness is made and attached to a 360 Degree swivel.

Here's the guitar hanging. I'm doing a Gibson headstock here:

Washer-Strap screw (a little out of focus): Sorry about the size. When I try to edit, it stays the same?
          Last edited by Bengal65; 06-15-2006, 10:39 PM.
          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

*edit*
            Last edited by Model1VH2; 06-18-2006, 02:06 PM.

Comment

I use this very simple method, which gives very good control of the guitar. I can swing it in any direction by grabbing the masked neck.

(Don't mention the dumb mask i'm using, i've already been told, thank you )

Henrik
              AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Dammit Henrik....you just have to keep pissing me off with that "dust mask" pic huh!
                If I could afford a plane ticket to Skanderborg I'd come down there and kick your ass!
                My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

hey henrik, feel free to use this pic that i made for ya:

:ROTF::ROTF::ROTF::ROTF::ROTF::ROTF::ROTF::ROTF::R OTF::ROTF::ROTF::ROTF::ROTF::ROTF:

sully
                  Sully Guitars on Google+
                  Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Ah, fun with Photoshop...... Now, if only he actually USED it!
                    I'm not Ron!

Comment

LOL!! SUPER Photochoppin' skills there sully! Hilarious! :ROTF:

Originally posted by mm2002
                      If I could afford a plane ticket to Skanderborg I'd come down there and kick your ass!
                      Bring beer if you do AND a proper mask!
                      Henrik
                      AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

:ROTF: I like that skinny dust mask strap holding up that 6000 Series 3M mask
                        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

it's magical, isn't it?
                          Sully Guitars on Google+
                          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by sully
                            hey henrik, feel free to use this pic that i made for ya:

:ROTF::ROTF::ROTF::ROTF::ROTF::ROTF::ROTF::ROTF::R OTF::ROTF::ROTF::ROTF::ROTF::ROTF:

sully
                            Ok, I'm good with that!!!!
                            (the skinny strap bothers me too though)
                            My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Working...
                            X