Quick primer question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick primer question

Once my project soloist body is ready for it's Primer coat, I read that you should apply 5 to 7 coats. Do you sand inbetween coats, or only after the final coat? I will be using spray cans for the primer and paint.

Thanks!!

you're probably not gonna need that much; spray enough so that you have even coverage and sand it flat. are you stripping it to wood or using the finish as a sealer/even base?
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

It's almost down to bare wood in some spots, but the grain is still sealed. Other spots still has the factory sealer, but it is sanded smooth.

Thanks!

Comment

Crusher, you might want to get that ebook "How to paint your guitar and get a Factory Finish" (or something like that - google search it). I'f painted many times but the book still had some good tips, which paints work best, etc. I think it's less than $20. The guy is going to be selling unpainted "kits" so that you can paint you own.

Kiss the ozone layer good-bye LOL!

Comment

Yeah, I have all the articles from when he was with "Guitar World". The instructions are pretty straight forward, but I know a few guys on here did their own and could give me some tips that are not in the book/articles

Comment

Originally posted by sully
            you're probably not gonna need that much; spray enough so that you have even coverage and sand it flat. are you stripping it to wood or using the finish as a sealer/even base?
            What Sully said. Also, make sure all of the stripper solvent has been removed/flashed off before priming. You want to keep the primer to a minimum because it builds the surface quickly and with aerosols the drying or cure time increases with the thickness.
            Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

+1 for what Sully said.

The less paint, the better IMO.
              Having said that, I really can't recommend using any book that recommends 30+ coats of spraypaint.

Comment

Absolutely. All that paint will result in a dead sounding piece of wood.
                Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler
                  Absolutely. All that paint will result in a dead sounding piece of wood.
                  Yeah, then you'll have to put an EMG in it!
                  My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Working...
                  X