Tuning down a bass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuning down a bass

Hi. I tried to do a search on this, but I couldn't find anything.

I am recording an abum with my band, this summer, and the other guitarist and I are going to do the bass tracks. After we had finished writing the bass lines, however, we decided to tune our guitars down, to D. A friend of ours then claimed that you can't tune down a bass.

So, is it possible to tune a regular 4-string in D?

All help will be appreciated, I don't know squat about tech regarding basses.
    I have no eyes, fuck-mook!

Of course you can tune the bass's E string down to a D. It might flop more than you like, at which point you would get a higher gauge E string to compensate.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

Originally posted by Geir
      Hi. I tried to do a search on this, but I couldn't find anything.

I am recording an abum with my band, this summer, and the other guitarist and I are going to do the bass tracks. After we had finished writing the bass lines, however, we decided to tune our guitars down, to D. A friend of ours then claimed that you can't tune down a bass.

So, is it possible to tune a regular 4-string in D?

All help will be appreciated, I don't know squat about tech regarding basses.
      your friend was dropped on his head as a baby

Comment

Originally posted by x22acaciaavenuex
        your friend was dropped on his head as a baby
        Haha, I can't wait to inform her. What gauges would you use? As far as I know we have a standard "beginner" gauge.
        I have no eyes, fuck-mook!

Comment

Originally posted by Geir
          Haha, I can't wait to inform her. What gauges would you use? As far as I know we have a standard "beginner" gauge.
          i use 45-105 and i tune to d on occasions and have no problems. if oyur looking to invest in new string let me reccomend DR high beams

Comment

Originally posted by x22acaciaavenuex
            i use 45-105 and i tune to d on occasions and have no problems. if oyur looking to invest in new string let me reccomend DR high beams
            +1
            "told you guys that spandex, hairspray and makeup on guys was a bad idea, and now look what happened - you all turned into women." - Newc

Comment

i use 40 -100 and drop d on some songs and use standard on others with the same bass with no problems. don't even have a hipshot on my main bass and don't have any trouble changing tuning while my guitar player changes guitars after awhile, you will be able to almost turn to key where it needs to be in tune by feel
              Last edited by peabuddy; 06-12-2006, 07:45 PM.
              The Truth Hurts Only If It's Supposed To !

Comment

Sure it can be done..I did it plenty and will do it everytime..

I just threw on heavier gauge strings..I was using 95's in standard tuning then jumped up to 105s in D..

then I tweaked the truss a tad..and it was perfect..played exactly the same as it did with the lighter guage strings on it ..tension and all.

I do ALOT of tapping and slapping..the heavier strings didn't impede my playing or the feel at all..not that I recall..

plus I stopped breaking the E string every other show..I broke alot of E strings when I was using the lighter 95's..so it was a blessing to jump up..
                Last edited by horns666; 06-25-2006, 12:43 PM.
                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                X