Model 6 behind nut string lock size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 6 behind nut string lock size?

I can't seem to find a hex key to fit these damn things, does anyone know what size key fits in there? I have two big sets (inches and metric) of keys from Home Depot (Tools R US) and everything seems to be just a bit off.

thanks folks!

jim
    Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Model 6 with hex type screws are I think the 1986 version which is all kahler, & you probably have a kahler tremolo. Kahler sells the whole allen wrench kit for the locknut & their tremolos. I don't the size because I have the staightblade screwdriver type lockdown screws on my model 6.

http://www.kahlerparts.com/Part_Pages/8427.htm

Comment

If it's a true Kahler-made behind the nut lock, then it'd be a 3/32 inch allen wrench. I have found them at smaller (non-Home Depot/Lowes) hardware stores.
      "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Strange.... I have an allen wrench multi tool I bought from precisely Home Despot that works for most size allen screws. I have both the Metric and the Standard size. I believe it is a Husky brand.

Comment

Get one of those fold up allen wrench sets and toss it in the case, and then you will have all the sizes you need not only for the nut, but to make adjustments as well.

Comment

The trickiest size for me to find when I got my 1st Kahler was the .050". It's the tiny one for the string height adjustment, and none of the multi-sets I could find had it. Tool Territory at Sears ended up being the place, and they had it in a multi-set or single for about a buck.

Comment

I have about 40 Allen keys altogether in 3 or 4 sets. On the SAE side, the 3/32" is too big, and the next smaller, 5/64" is too small. On the Metric side, 2mm is too small, and 2.5 is too big. The guitar is an 87, with a floyd bridge and the Kahler top lock as well. It had no trem at all when I got it (or pickups for that matter), so it actually has a gold ESP floyd in it. Come to think of it, I got the Kahler locking bits here as well because the guitar was just a body when I got it. Are these parts easy to come by? Maybe I'll just replace them if that's the case.

Comment

That is bizarre that none of the wrenches fit! I do know that Dave carries replacement screws for the Kahler locknut with the correct wrench for a great price:

http://www.fretsonthenet.net/hardwar...ews_&_Wrenches

Comment

It's probably because the screws are whacked/striped from being overtightened too many times.

Comment

Originally posted by dg
                    That is bizarre that none of the wrenches fit! I do know that Dave carries replacement screws for the Kahler locknut with the correct wrench for a great price:

http://www.fretsonthenet.net/hardwar...ews_&_Wrenches
                    I'll order those up, thanks!

Comment

Working...
                    X