Gonna reapir a guitar. Advice needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gonna reapir a guitar. Advice needed!

Right, i've got a 2001 BC rich NJ warlock. I've had it since new, passed my first music exam on it and for sentimental reasons, can't sell it.

the neck is wrecked (frets worn down really far with chips in them (don't ask, i don't even know), and the actual fretboard is just disgusting.

I'm considering turning this into a project guitar. Do all the stuff i've always wanted to try on it. It's not been played in like 2 years (since i got my KV2) so i technically have nothing to lose.

anyhoo... enough backstory,
    The deal is, should i refret before i scallop or scallop then refret?

The neck is unbound if thta helps.

whaddya's rekon?

First, I would recommend to *NOT* hack the crap outta the fretboard, and just pull frets, scrape board clean, then refret....

but if you gotta ruin the board by trying to scallop ;-) hehe.... Sorry, but I've seen way too many bad DIY scallop job pics on the net......

scallop, then refret..... that way you can try a smooth transition from fret to scallop, and replace the frets afterward if you damage the frets in the process.

Comment

aye, it's just the neck is pretty wrecked as it is... always wanted to try a scalloped guitar so i have NOTHING to lose

Comment

Originally posted by Postal
        First, I would recommend to *NOT* hack the crap outta the fretboard, and just pull frets, scrape board clean, then refret....

but if you gotta ruin the board by trying to scallop ;-) hehe.... Sorry, but I've seen way too many bad DIY scallop job pics on the net......

scallop, then refret..... that way you can try a smooth transition from fret to scallop, and replace the frets afterward if you damage the frets in the process.
        I have to disagree, refret then scallop. It´s much easier to tape off 2 frets at a time and scallop than it is to properly level a scalloped board without prior experience... It´s also much easier to control the scallop profile if there´s already a fret in the slot so you know exactly where you are in relation to it.

Why make it harder on yourself if you plan on doing both anyway

Comment

Why don't you just pull the frets, level the board, then re-fret? What's with the scallops? I may be old school here, but the whole scalloping thing seems to be a big joke to me. I've played with scalloped boards, and I found nothing about it that made me play cleaner, or enable me to do any "magic" that I can't already do. Actually, it made things more difficult for me because if you have a heavy fret hand (which I do), you have to develop a really light touch to keep the strings in tune. I wish wingwang would have never started that trend. There have been a lot of nice necks fucked up because of it. The most respected guitarists I can think of don't play with scalloped fretboards.
          My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

agreed, it's a fad or whatever you wish to call it. scalloping is not smart or necessary for the normal player. just get jumbo frets and you're partway there anyway.
            the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

If the frets are tall enough you'll get the same effect as scalloping.

Comment

Originally posted by mm2002
                Why don't you just pull the frets, level the board, then re-fret? What's with the scallops? I may be old school here, but the whole scalloping thing seems to be a big joke to me. I've played with scalloped boards, and I found nothing about it that made me play cleaner, or enable me to do any "magic" that I can't already do. Actually, it made things more difficult for me because if you have a heavy fret hand (which I do), you have to develop a really light touch to keep the strings in tune. I wish wingwang would have never started that trend. There have been a lot of nice necks fucked up because of it. The most respected guitarists I can think of don't play with scalloped fretboards.
                +1000
                Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Originally posted by jtr
                  If the frets are tall enough you'll get the same effect as scalloping.
                  Not according to Dan Erlwine. He talks about it, in his repair guide. He tells how a music store employee tried to tell him the same thing, and then goes on to say how that's simply not true. While I've never played one (nor do I CARE to), I would tend to put faith in what the man says.
                  I'm not Ron!

Comment

Originally posted by mm2002
                    I wish wingwang would have never started that trend. .
                    :ROTF:
                    I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

Working...
                    X