Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To route or not to route...

... that is the question.

I've got an EMG PA2 preamp booster laying around that I want to use. Should I route out my new Charvel Star for it or route my Les Paul Studio?? Both sound really nice (Duncan Custom 5 and Jazz in the Charvel, EMG 85/81 in the Les Paul), but I want more gain!

I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Why route it? Can't you just use a push-push or push-pull pot? (i'm not familiar with the PA2).
    Henrik
    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

It's a switch on a board.

Comment

I would definitely modify it if possible and make some wires to a push-push pot. That means take off the little switch and solder some wires onto the board -> pot. If possible.
        Henrik
        AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

I agree. If I was the owner of that Star (and I wish I was!), I would NOT want to carve into it, just because of a mini switch. Take Jackson1's advice, if you can, and mod it.
          I'm not Ron!

Comment

Could you pull out the pickup selector on the star put your new PA2 switch in the now vacant hole. Swap out the volume for a push pull and wire it to switch your pups. Just some re-wiring and no new holes on your guitar

Comment

Originally posted by slash
              Could you pull out the pickup selector on the star put your new PA2 switch in the now vacant hole. Swap out the volume for a push pull and wire it to switch your pups. Just some re-wiring and no new holes on your guitar
              Using a push/pull as a selector is a pretty odd configuration.
              I'd remove the switch portion and hardwire the board to a push/pull volume control.
              The board could be mounted in the existing cavity, you wouldn't have to drill any new holes, and you would have a more conventional configuration.

BTW ... doesn't that switch require a battery?

Regardless, routing and/or drilling wouldn't be an option if those were my instruments.

Comment

joe, just get a distortion pedal.
                Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                Sully Guitars on Facebook
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Mount it from behind on the electronics cover, you can toggle it from behind - SECRETLY!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sully
                    Yeah, I know. That's probably my best bet, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Model1VH2
                      BTW ... doesn't that switch require a battery?
                      Yes, it does. I'm better off putting it in the Les Paul since there's already a battery for the EMGs in it. I guess a push/pull is probably a better option anyway, and I really shouldn't mess with the Star. I could route the LP and not feel as bad, though.

Comment

+1
                        There are so many options that don't require permanent mods to your guitars.

Comment

Originally posted by slash
                          I could do the push/pull volume selector like George Lynch does, but I would then lose the middle position and wouldn't be able to use both pups together (I like to do that a bit for clean sounds).

Comment

Originally posted by toejam
                            I could do the push/pull volume selector like George Lynch does, but I would then lose the middle position and wouldn't be able to use both pups together (I like to do that a bit for clean sounds).
                            I would go with sully's sugestion then and as a bonus you can use it with all your guitars

Comment

I was going to say almost the same thing.

Except where sully said "joe", I was going to say "Monkey Boy". And where sully said "" I was going to say ", you frikkin' tool! &@#*"

but otherwise, just the same.
                              Hail yesterday

Comment

Working...
                              X