Mod 6 pickup replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mod 6 pickup replacement

Looking to replace the pickups in my mod 6. There are the standard pickup in it now.

What would make a good heavy sound for Blues type music?

What would also be a good pickup for metal music sound?
    Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Originally posted by donf
    Looking to replace the pickups in my mod 6.
    What would also be a good pickup for metal music sound?
    For metal, EMG's are killer. I would go with an 85 in the bridge and SA's in the middle and neck positions.

Alvin
    MakeAJazzNoiseHere: You kidding me? I'd suck her fartbox dry in a heartbeat. 9/29/2011 quote about Megan Fox

Comment

Originally posted by Alvin_Wilson
      EMG's are killer. I would go with an 85 in the bridge and SA's in the middle and neck positions.

Alvin
      EMG 85, ok What are SA's?

Comment

EMG-SA's are high output single coils. Here is EMG's link:

http://www.emginc.com/displayproducts.asp?section=Guitar&categoryid=7
        MakeAJazzNoiseHere: You kidding me? I'd suck her fartbox dry in a heartbeat. 9/29/2011 quote about Megan Fox

Comment

Thanks for the link

Comment

I would pull out the JE-1200 circuitry when changing the pickups... maybe you already thought of that?
            Henrik
            AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1
              I would pull out the JE-1200 circuitry when changing the pickups... maybe you already thought of that?
              No, I haven't yet, but thanks for the info. What advantage would it have to pull the circuitry?

Comment

Originally posted by donf
                No, I haven't yet, but thanks for the info. What advantage would it have to pull the circuitry?
                less trouble when rewiring with EMGs (if you choose them). But you won't have the mid-boost anymore, altough it can work with EMGs.

Comment

I don't have any personal experience regarding the JE-1200 circuitry, but your original pickups are designed for use with active circuitry, so putting in, say a Duncan Custom, without removing the circuitry, i'd say that the Custom would suffer from running through the active electronics... probably way too hot output. But someone better chime in to correct or +1 me.
                  Henrik
                  AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

I've got a Custom & a Hot Rails in my Model 6 and they work fine with the midboost. The effect of the boost is a little less noticeable than it was with the original pickups, but it works fine with no ill effects. It sweetens the tone of the Custom a little, which can sometimes be kinda scooped for my taste. I haven't noticed the output being too hot except for once or twice when I had some clipping during computer-based recording, and it was easy to fix by dialing back the gain a bit.
                    Last edited by dg; 06-01-2006, 07:48 PM.

Comment

If you are pulling the JE-1200 circuitry then let me know. I can find a new home for it.

Comment

I play lots of different types of music, and have a lil '59 in the neck, a Gold Lace Sensor in the middle, and a JB in the bridge. It gives me lots of great sounds both clean and distorted, and I'm very happy with the guitar as it is now. I've only got the master vol and tone in the circuit though. I think I would leave the mid-boost in, personally, if my 6 still had one. I had one in a Pro Soloist, and I thought it was pretty cool.
                        Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

My 650xl has a Distortion/Cool Rails/Hot Rails in it, and it is an absolute tone monster. It does metal better than any other guitar I've owned. And it is versatile enough to handle a lot of other styles as well. I've used that setup with and without the mid boost. With the midboost, the Hot Rails in the neck sounded a little better. It seemed hotter and smoother and did amazing shred metal leads. The Distortion and the Cool Rails in the mid sound much better without the boost. They are both clearer and more articulate. The character of each pickup shines through. Right now, I've got it set up with 3 volumes and no tone, with push/pull pots on the Hot and Cool Rails to split them. The only thing I might change is to take off the push/pull pots and put a different pickup in the middle to give it a little better single coil tone. But I don't see myself doing that anytime soon.

Comment

I have the EMG 81/SA/SA set up on my model six if you wired it right you can have many sounds from metal to blues. When I use the bridge or bridge & middle it's metal w/volume full up. When I use the bridge & neck or just neck pickups
                            it's bluesy with volume 3/4, when I use all three on there's alot of harmonics like a vintage strat. I wired to work with one on/off or any combo. Here's a copy of my wiring diagram after I finished wiring. Also wired it at 18V , 2 batteries for more power & no noise.

Comment

All these are interesting. Thanks guys!

Comment

Working...
                              X