Routing Templates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Routing Templates

Anyone know if a company makes custom routing templates for control cavities? I need to make some rectangular custom sized templates. I contacted StewMac and they won't make any other sizes than they stock in the catalog. They are laser cut, so I know StewMac does not make them in house. I need to find a CNC shop that does machining or laser cutting that can do these plexiglass templates.
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

You could make them yourself a lot cheaper. Plexi isn't hard to cut at all. Use an appropriate sized drill bit for the corners, and then cut the straight lines with a jig saw or band saw with very fine teeth (metal cutting type). You can use a small sanding block to finesse it to perfection. I've made a few of them and it wasn't too bad.
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Originally posted by mm2002
      You could make them yourself a lot cheaper. Plexi isn't hard to cut at all. Use an appropriate sized drill bit for the corners, and then cut the straight lines with a jig saw or band saw with very fine teeth (metal cutting type). You can use a small sanding block to finesse it to perfection. I've made a few of them and it wasn't too bad.
      Yea, thanks, I used to be a plastic fabricator and worked with all that stuff. I was just attempting to avoid all that fabrication and getting the material. I may still make them since the shapes aren't that complicated. I used to even have special drill bits that were made for plexiglass so it wouldn't chip out.
      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Special drill bits? Hmmmm....never used those. What are they called?
        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Plastic drill bits http://www.rplastics.com/plastictools.html

or

Plexiglass drill bits http://stylespilotshop.stores.yahoo.net/ac55-3-8.html

"Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

RacerX hit it dead on. They have a steeper flute and sharper point (angle). They work great for drilling plexiglass. On plexiglass edges to get the polished look we use to use an oxy-fuel torch. The fuels were oxygen and hydrogen (BOMB!). The the flame was moved along the edge in a rapid motion, melting the edges somewhat and causing them to go transparent. It replaced the old method of sanding and polishing. It is pretty neat to see. Most of the work I did was for the Semi-conductor industry.

Comment

Check Rockler for a "template" router bit set with collets. You can make the cover, use the router bit to make a template, then use the template to cut the cavity on the guitar. should run about $30? and has TONS of uses in guitarmaking. This setup is with 1/4 " template material. I dunno how well that bit works on plexi though. I use ply or masonite

Comment

Working...
              X