String through or stoptail?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• String through or stoptail?

I've played a couple of stoptails before but I never owned one.

Could someone give me a lowdown on the pro's and cons?

I've always been told a stoptail gives you richer tone and more sustain, but that they can be a hassle to restring.

Thanks in advance!
    Ward
    You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

I have a bunch of stop tail guitars, and they aren't a hassle to restring at all. I haven't really noticed a significant difference between string thru and stop tail.
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I prefer string through personally. As an engineer I could argue that having the strings anchored inside the body would introduce the frequencies into the body better and thus make a richer thicker sound. But would you really notice the difference? I doubt it. Really it just looks better

Comment

I have several of each. I like both. One thing I notice is, that with the stop tail, I can influence string tension a bit by raising or lowering the stop bar.
        Scott
        Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Stoptails give you a lot more flexibility. You can adjust the tone buy the materials being used (there are aluminum and zinc stoptails, steel studs vs. brass studs) and like Scott said, adjusting the break-angle over the bridge. You can also topwrap a stoptail which influences tone and tension. Bratfink has a good point as well, but I doubt a string thru would look better on an LP or an SG. I think it depends on the guitar.

Comment

I have both and like both. There are arguments either way for both style of bridge. In my experience, the stoptail is definitely not a hassle to restring, if that's a selling point.

Comment

Great pointers guys! Thanks for that! Played a Paul with a stoptail again.

..............Stoptail it is!
              You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Working...
              X