Floyd questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd questions

Okay, I measured the floyd blocks in my guitars. 30mm.

My friend Pete just picked up a Soloist of shit bay, and he said when he pulls the trem back, it hits the metal trem cover plate.

We did some investigations, and his is 38mm.

It's an SL2H, and all of the trem cavity measurements match mine. Do some Soloists come with an SL2H different size blocks, or was this one likely changed?

The blocks are made in 3 sizes... 32mm for recessed Floyds, 37mm and 42mm for non-recessed Floyds.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

That's odd, because his is like 38.8, and mine is 30 even. They are both FR originals, in recessed bodies.

It sounds like someone changed his floyd block.

Comment

Yeah, someone must have changed it. The blocks should also be stamped with the size numbers on them if they're real Floyd blocks.

Comment

Okay, his says 37.

and mine says 32

Comment

Originally posted by toejam
            Yeah, someone must have changed it. The blocks should also be stamped with the size numbers on them if they're real Floyd blocks.
            I have just checked two of my real "honest to God" Floyds and neither has a MM number. The chrome one I just checked came of off an '80's guitar.
            Last edited by fett; 05-25-2006, 05:05 PM.
            I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Where can my friend find a 32MM?

Comment

If he really likes the Floyd he has, why got go to a machine shop and have them shave it down to 32MM?

Comment

Originally posted by Deneb
                  Where can my friend find a 32MM?
                  http://guitarpartsdepot.com/Merchant...oyd-Rose-Parts
                  Are YOU a Jackson Warrior? Join us and be all that you can be!

Comment

Originally posted by fett
                    I have just checked two of my real "honest to God" Floyds and neither has a MM number. The chrome one I just checked came of off an '80's guitar.
                    Hmm, I guess the real old ones don't have numbers then. I bought a couple from Carvin in the early to mid '90s and they were numbered. Not sure exactly when they started doing it, though.

Comment

I was just checking all the Real and not real Floyds. My Charvel Germany Floyd was stamped 32MM. I couldn't have cared less when I bought it on E-Bay because I knew it would fit one of the guitars I own. If he doesn't do like I do and just buy everything, I still think it would be cheaper to shave it down.

Comment

The baseplate on that site is like 10$. Shaving it down at a machine shop may be more pricey.

Thanks for the link. My friend Pete is stocked. He's a little jacked at the same time. Every guitar he has bought from eBay has had some fucked up thing with it. Thankfully, this isn't a big deal.

Comment

If really makes a difference, a Real Floyd has a steel block. What he will get is pot-metal.

Comment

I just checked a brand new floyd I have and it's stamped 37

Comment

Working...
                            X