Special heel cut with no plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Special heel cut with no plate

The neck plate on a bolt on acts as a big shim, right? So the 4 screws won't bite into the body wood and to help spread the load evenly among the 4 screws. Right?

Well, if that's true, how does the special heel cut with the missing neck plate work then? Maybe the neck plate is not needed at all and it's only there to host a logo and a serial?

Henrik
    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

I think a neck plate provides better stability for the neck pocket.
    My .02
    -Rick

Comment

rj, i think so too. Anyone have any issues with the above heel design? Heard of anyone with problems?
      Henrik
      AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

I have several Ibanezes with heels very similar to that, and no problems at all.

Comment

I have a Ibanez JPM and it has the AAJN neck joint ( the heel is rounded and contoured w.o. neck plate). It is really comfortable and stabil. Works great.

Comment

Originally posted by 6077dino
            I have a Ibanez JPM and it has the AAJN neck joint ( the heel is rounded and contoured w.o. neck plate). It is really comfortable and stabil. Works great.
            Yep, I had an Ibanez RG7620 like that. I really liked it. I also had a Kelly XLR that had no plate. I believe the old Scott Ian JJ bolt-on models didn't have a plate either.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

they work since the heads on the screws are a small bit larger than a normal strat like guitar and they also use busing/washers under each screw to spead the load more.

-Mike
              www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

By the structure of the neckplate it squares the neck to the body. It also reinforces the neck/body. Wait until the guitar falls on its neck!!!! without a neckplate.The original Fenders had just a number. The vast number of bolt-ons have neckplates. Don't you think there was a reason for this other than another place for a logo?
                I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Both Neckplates and Ferrules have proven themselves over years to be a stable and acceptable way of mounting a bolt on neck.

The ferrules allow you to do more heel contouring, while the large plate adds a hint more stability.

Comment

I have a custom order in my shop right now that is similar. It's an SD1 body with an AANJ heel. It turned out great. It will be bolted to the neck using ferrules to help spread the load.

Comment

Working...
                    X