Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! Amp may have blown! Inadequate power? Dear God help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Amp may have blown! Inadequate power? Dear God help!

Rhythm guitarist and I were jamming in the basement as some plumbers were working on the pipes. They fired up one of their saws as we were playing, the lights and amps flickered and my amp shut off, and refused to turn back on. We were playing at decently loud levels, and the ventilation of where my amp was may have been inadequate.

My number one guess is that the power levels dropped to low and fucked things up. If this is correct, is it possible to get my amp fixed?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

No, it's screwed, send it to me for freeeeeeeee!! Heh
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

A blown fuse possibly? Have you checked for that?
      Whataya Mean I Don't Support The System? I Go To Court When I Have To!

Comment

I´d check the fuses first, both the mains and the internal. I´m pretty certain there´s no real damage to your amp.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave L
          I´d check the fuses first, both the mains and the internal.
          Ditto.
          Scott
          Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Sounds like a fuse bro.
            Check them and make sure you replace a bad one with the exact same value as marked on the amp.
            If the external fuses are good you might have blown an internal fuse. Check the circuit board. BE CAREFUL. There is dangerous voltage in an amp even if its not plugged in.
            If all the fuses are good I would say you cooked a transformer possibly. If you did.. the amp will smell burnt inside.

Comment

Thanks for the quick responses, and pardon my extremely late thanks. It's in the shop, and has been for a couple of weeks now. I'm pretty pissed off about it.

A small warning to those who'd like to buy a Spider II. THEY DON'T HAVE FUSES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We just got the chip today that was supposedly the problem (after two weeks of waiting) only for the amp to eat that as well. Now the tech thinks it's the power supply that's fucking everything up. At least they're not charging me for the chip that they ordered, but still this is getting to be a rediculously long wait.

God fucking dammit. The other guitarist finally replaces his shitty amp with a Spider II, and the day it gets here mine blows. Now I'm using a death metal pedal that runs into the PA. The tone I have now is painfully shitty.

Spider II's are great sounding amps, but they are weaker than fuck. Get one to practice, and leave it in the practice room. Run it through a power conditioner and another three surge protectors as well just to be on the safe side.

Okay, I'm done now.

Comment

I'd rather play through the death metal pedal

Comment

Apparently you haven't played through a Death Metal Pedal!

Comment

ive played through a couple of different spider II's (combo and head) and I would rather look goofy with a death metal pedal and still have the same shit sound as a spider :P

Comment

How long have you had it? I hope it´s still under full warranty, because I wouldn´t spend any money and/or time repairing that power section. Call your dealer and ask for a new one instead. It sounds absolutely ridiculous that it doesn´t have any fuses, by the way... any normal amp would have just blown the mains fuse if there was some kind of momentary power failure due to the plumbers.

Comment

Damn Plumbers!

Comment

yep i got the spider 112.. good for practice.. keep it out of stage..
                          extremely sensative to power and will probably crap out on you in live situations
                          If the crowd is shouting for an encore, but the sound guy is shaking his head, ignore him and play anyway

Comment

If it was a tube amp it wouldn't had any problem but anything digital is really effected by power fluxuation.

Comment

I was at GC testing some guitars a few weeks ago. I plugged into several of the Line 6's. I thought the Spider was pretty cool. I was commenting to the sales guy and he told me to stay away from those amps because they have seen way to many come back for the problem you stated. Damn, I don't really like solid state stuff for guitar amplification.
                              Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Working...
                              X