Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ajust the trussrod or get the neck pocket rerouted?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ajust the trussrod or get the neck pocket rerouted?

hey all, as you may know ive built this crazy looking guitar, but theres a problem with it. Right now, the guitar has a dive only trem routing, but since the neck sits so high in the pocket, i have to raise the trem so high that i can pull it up a whole heck of alot.

Ideally, i would like the guitar to be dive only, becuase i like it when the trem sits against the body, thus making string vibrations more "one" with the body.

so my question is this, should i have the neck pocket rerouted, or should i loosen the truss rod, and then lower the action from the bridge?

any help will be greatly appreciated.

Patrick
    www.soundclick.com/patricklukens

www.myspace.com/patricklukens

re-route the pocket and block the floyd.
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

is the neck sitting too high in the pocket, or is it just the angle of the pocket? Before you go nuts routing the thing, try shimming the neck first. Slip a bit of card or something into the pocket, towards the pointy end of the guitar, and bolt the neck back on. It'll provide you with enough angle to lower your Floyd.

If the neck is still sitting too high in the pocket, then you can get stuck in with the router
      Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG
        is the neck sitting too high in the pocket, or is it just the angle of the pocket? Before you go nuts routing the thing, try shimming the neck first. Slip a bit of card or something into the pocket, towards the pointy end of the guitar, and bolt the neck back on. It'll provide you with enough angle to lower your Floyd.

If the neck is still sitting too high in the pocket, then you can get stuck in with the router
        its routed too high at least i think it is. Should i try adjusting the truss rod before i do the shim? or should i shim first and adjust later?

Comment

I hate necks high in the pocket. I'd take a router to it - in fact I've done this in the past to an Aria beater I had and it's still one of my favorite axes.

Comment

If you do take a router to it, make sure you have a neck pocket template stuck on top of the body.
            Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

measure the neck pocket. it should be 5/8" deep. if it's not that deep, there ya go. is this the body you got from doug trillian?
              Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
              Sully Guitars on Facebook
              Sully Guitars on Google+
              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by sully
                measure the neck pocket. it should be 5/8" deep. if it's not that deep, there ya go. is this the body you got from doug trillian?
                yeah.

im trying to adjust the trussrod on the neck (i shimmed it as well), and the thing will not budge. It will not turn right or left? is this a problem or no?

Comment

well, i'd say that yeah, if your truss rod nut is seized, that's a problem....

take the strings off, take the neck off, and see if it will turn. i'd try to loosen it before tightening it.

while you're at that, measure the neck pocket depth and report back.
                  Sully Guitars on Google+
                  Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I heard sometimes for siezed truss rods, you can gently try and push on the neck, like one way and the other. The guy at Drum City Guitar Land told me about it. Said something about glue building up in there or something, I don't remember exactly.

Like Sully said, I'd go loose before tighter.

That said, don't go too crazy making 30 different adjustments at once. Take it one step at a time. If you're trying to make the neck closer to the body, I don't know why you would shim it.

First thing I'd do is like Sully said, measure the neck pocket. I don't know how much wood I'd go chewing out of it, if it's already a small one. If it's too large, you can route it, but make sure to make a template as somone outlined above.

Comment

Originally posted by Deneb
                      If you're trying to make the neck closer to the body, I don't know why you would shim it.
                      I suggested that because it is possible that the neck isn't actually sitting too high, but that the angle of the neck pocket is making it appear so. The issue I was trying to address was that the bridge couldn't be lowered far enough to have the trem sitting on the body. Shimming the end of the pocket can tip the neck enough to lower the bridge down.

If the neck pocket is too shallow, it'll need routing. But I kinda have this thing about not removing wood until other avenues have been exhausted - you can take it away, but it's harder to put it back.

Vic's GMW was an example of the neck pocket being cut incorrectly for a non-recessed Floyd. The reverse of this situation, but a good illustration that the only way to correct the problem if you take too much wood out of the pocket is to either shim, or recessed the Floyd. If Patrick goes crazy cutting up the neck pocket, he might be causing other problems for himself
                      Hail yesterday

Comment

word.
                        Sully Guitars on Google+
                        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Yeah I don't much care for routing the neck pocket. I'd route the body for a recessed floyd, and then I'd block it, if he likes it that way.

Comment

Is Trillian guitars still around?

Comment

Have router will rout anything

Comment

Working...
                              X