Help me oil a neck.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me oil a neck.

I have a oiled neck gmw. The neck is clean and doesnt need and sanding. I just want to put some boiled linseed oil on it. How do I go about doing this?

Dont they use gunstock oil for oiled necks? I would be curious how to do this as well. I will be stripping down a maple neck and want to oil the back

Comment

Originally posted by quakana
      Dont they use gunstock oil for oiled necks? I would be curious how to do this as well. I will be stripping down a maple neck and want to oil the back
      Sully needs to chime in on this one. I held in my hand a mahogany neck he used gunstock oil on, and it was freakin killer. I'm going to buy some of the stuff myself.
      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I talked to Lee at GMW and he told me that he uses boiled linseed oil. I just want to know if after you oil it, do you need to do anything else? I figure you just rub some on with a rag and wipe off the excess and let it soak in for a day or so.

Comment

Originally posted by mm2002
          Sully needs to chime in on this one. I held in my hand a mahogany neck he used gunstock oil on, and it was freakin killer. I'm going to buy some of the stuff myself.
          WHere do you get it? Gunstock oil...I guess from a gun shop huh?
          My SL2HT has an oiled neck and I think its gunstock oil and I love it

Comment

Birchwood Casey Tru Oil. Most gun shops will have it.
            My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Can anyone help me on this one?

Comment

quakana, parntz145, i have a method which gives a feel that is the best i've ever tried/touched. I know you said boiled linseed oil, but it never hurts to know alternative methods

You can read about it on my site (HERE) but here's a copy and paste from the site. Basically i'm using a product developed for worktops, you know kitchen worktops made of wood. They need a good protection to withstand the constant water and banging they receive every day. This product is KILLER for the back of raw necks. Here's the text, feel free to ask me anything:

Okay, neck is finished. I shot some new pics of it. I must say that this has turned out very much to my liking. All my guitars the last 15 years has been with painted or laquered necks (back) and i really wanted to try and have one oiled. After scraping and sanding i applied a special worktop oil (danish product) with white pigment and UV blocker to the back of the neck and headstock. The oil soaks for 20 minutes and then it is wiped off. I repeated the process twice and wet sanded with #800 while the oil was soaking. The oil then needs to sit/harden for 24 hours and then i polished it using a special sponge with a hard "polystyrene-mesh" on one side.
                The finish is now satin like and very light in color. Actually the maple wood is almost unchanged in color, even though it is now oiled. The feel of the neck is totally awesome smooth! Almost cold feeling. Velvet-like, crazy! Very very nice and easy to slide up and down. Old news to you guys perhaps, but i am amazed by this oil treatment! The process can be repeated whenever it is needed.
                Last edited by jackson1; 05-23-2006, 05:30 AM.
                Henrik
                AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

That is one sweet job man. Impressed!

Comment

jakcson1 can you use that product on a neck thats already had gunstock oil/boiled linseed oil on it??
                    My music:
                    www.leonlive.co.uk

Comment

what I'm about to tell is for tung oil. first you apply a thin layer every day for a week (let soak for 15-20 minutes and wipe off the excess) and let it dry for 24 hours before lightly sanding it and putting on the next coat. then you do it for once a week for three weeks and finally, you don't sand the last coat but buff it with paste wax to a glass like finish. worth the effort.

Comment

Last I remember, Sully likes Danish Oil on necks. I like this too, as it is the thinner oil of choice. You can use the "Golden Oak" for a vintage tint as well. For my self, my favorite is Woodcraft Oil. It is a boiled linseed with a Urethane modifier. Wipe on-Wipe off. Do it a couple times and rub out with 0000 synthetic "steel wool". Gunstock Oil (Birchwood Casey) is an oil with a varnish as a modifier. I don't like it because it leaves a varnish feel to it. Everyone has a preference and one needs to try different types of oil. I know I did and was able to decide which one was best for me

Gun stock Oil-Most Walmart's have it or of course as mentioned any store that sells guns
                        Woodcraft Oil- Woodcraft stores or Woodcraft on-line
                        Tung and Danish Oil- Most hardware and home supply stores. Walmart probably has this too.
                        Last edited by Bengal65; 05-23-2006, 09:14 AM.
                        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by Guyver1
                          jakcson1 can you use that product on a neck thats already had gunstock oil/boiled linseed oil on it??
                          I don't know, but i guess if the wood is already fully saturated with boiled linseed oil, no other oil product will do anything to the neck.
                          Henrik
                          AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

On my guitars with oiled necks, I use a carnuba / beeswax periodically on the wood. Apply the wax, and remove with a soft cloth.

I rarely need to do this though .. usually the sweat from my palm keeps the necks feeling nice and slick.

-a

Comment

I went to Home Depot and bought boiled linseed oil. I have enough now for a lifetime. I mean you think they would make a smaller bottle. Lee from GMW told me to apply it with a paper towel and wipe off the excess. I did this twice and let it sit for a few hours. I then took an old undershirt (cotton) and really wiped the back and the fingerboard. It feels great. Smells like shit but I guess that will go away. The thing that is great is there was no change in the wood color. I was worried about that. I like the look of natural maple necks.
                              The neck now feel nice and slick and mainted that raw maple feel. Thanks for all the help. Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X