Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• raising the action from the nut?

Players,
    Just scored a SL2H-MAH and it was delivered last week. Out of the box it was a superb player. Action so low it practically played itself. It was shipped from Las Vegas and I think the climate change (I live in CT) has played with the neck a little bit because now I'm getting considerable fret buzz on all strings from the first fret to the 4th. I raised the action on the floyd and now the buzz is gone, but now the action up the neck is higher than I really like it. So, my question (finally) . . . is it kosher to remove the locking nut and put a little 'shim' under it to just raise the action closer to the headstock? If it's cool, what would be a good way to do this? I was thinking about a couple of toothpicks or something similar. What are your thoughts?? Thanks!

First i would take a look at the neck. Maybe it just need a little more relief/front bow to correct things. Could be that your neck is dead straight or a little back bowed at the moment.
    Henrik
    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1
      First i would take a look at the neck. Maybe it just need a little more relief/front bow to correct things. Could be that your neck is dead straight or a little back bowed at the moment.
      +1

Comment

If you need to shim it, use a thin piece of brass (or some other sheet metal). You can buy gauged sheets at most hobby shops/hardware stores.

Comment

...Or you can use sandpaper, like I just did. Works well.
          I'm not Ron!

Comment

Sandpaper, tinfoil, business card, cardboard, paper. Anything will work.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Strawberry Jam?
              Henrik
              AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Sure, give it a try. Make sure it's been in the sun for awhile and nice and hard and crusty. LOL
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Allparts sells shims for just this purpose:
                  http://www.allparts.com/shopimages/BP_0426-001.jpg

BP_0426-001 Shim Set for Floyd Rose® Locking Nuts 2 Pcs of each .1 mm, .2 mm, .3 mm Retail Price: $6.50

Comment

Yeah, but there is no REAL reason to waste money on them, when other, easily-found things, work just fine.
                    I'm not Ron!

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1
                      Spot on! I did look at the neck and it is dead straight . . . So, if I were to . . . *gulp* . . . adjust the truss rod myself, to give it a touch of relief, how much of a turn should I give it? Also, which way should I turn it?? Sorry if these are stupid questions - never adjusted the truss rod myself on any axe. Don't want to turn this bitch into a corkscrew.

Comment

Left to add relief, right to remove it. And don't be tweakin it too much at first...maybe a 1/4 turn. Then let it settle in. If you are not careful, you can really screw the pooch when it comes to adjusting a truss rod.

Comment

You would be loosening the truss rod, so, as you are at the headstock, looking down into the truss rod nut socket, you would turn counter-clockwise. There is no set amount, as you really have to take baby steps, and check your work. Sometimes it can take overnight, to really get the neck to settle in after a trussrod adjustment, so be patient. Sometimes a quarter turn is all that's on the rod.
                          I'm not Ron!

Comment

The bottom line is that if the strings aren't buzzing when played OPEN, shimming the nut isn't the fix.
                            My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Loosen truss rod a little then check it. Repeat as needed a very easy thing to do. Shimming the nut would not help.Even though the neck seem perfectly straight it probably has a slight back bow.

Comment

Working...
                              X