Floyd help, shimming under saddles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd help, shimming under saddles?

I recently bought a chrome floyd rose(original) for one of my guitars. I didn't want to go through the hoopla of cutting down bolts(to fit in to non-factory floyd recess areas) etc, so I took off the factory black floyd from my new red KV2 and switched the chrome one on. It looks MINT...BUT....the d and g string saddles need to be raised considerably!

What is a good shim material? or do I need material? is there a way to raise them?

Thanks in advance. I looked in the sticky and didn't seem to find anything.

www.allparts.com part # BP2214-001
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Thanks very much!!

Comment

I have some All-Parts saddle shims. If you are interested I can double check. I may have more than one package. Let me know if I can help.
        Last edited by scotty; 05-19-2006, 11:29 PM.
        Just one more guitar!

Comment

P.M. sent scotty

Comment

JZ06, have you checked that your new chrome floyd has the 6 saddles mounted correctly? Basically, they should follow the shape of the fretboard. They got a number on the backside (hopefully) that should help you.
            Henrik
            AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

in lieu of the allparts shims, aluminium foil works great

Comment

Funny: Just got my project guitar, together, last night, and am running into the same problem, so I know what you mean. Allparts have them for $10.00, and you can find them for less. I know we have some shimstock, at work, so, in my case, I may take one of the saddle assemblies in, for dimensions, and hand-make a few. I may tianker around with a little bit of sandpaper, as shims, today, just to give me a feel of roughly how much shim height I need.
                I'm not Ron!

Comment

All is well! just a heads up....this floyd didn't have the saddles numbered. It's an original chrome and only needed two shims under the b string. All is fine. I did the intonation and such this morning. The guitar looks and plays wonderfully.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
                  X