Give me some relief!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Give me some relief!

So I've recently picked up a Jackson SL2H, which I am loving a lot. However, I need to add a touch of relief to the fingerboard. It's pretty much completely straight as it is.

So I go to loosen the truss rod ... and it just spins! If I tighten the nut, it engages the thread and tightens, but this obviously doesn't help me out any. This is also the first that I've learned Jacksons have single-action truss rods!

So basically when the truss rod is completely disengaged, there is zero relief on the fretboard.

I have 9's on the guitar currently ... is there going to be a way around this without going to higher gauge strings?

-a

Nope, unless you want to send the guitar out to have the neck heat treated.

Comment

I bought a model 5 for 100.00 at the pawnshop, got is so cheap because it had a little backbow in the neck,( ok it had alot of backbow) I haggled with them telling them it might not adjust out, I got home, and sure enough it did'nt, I brought it to the tech at Bizzare guitar here in reno, he said he could try it in his hot neckpress overnight, the next day I went back, he strung it up with 10's, and it still was'nt completly straight I took it home and started thinking????? what can I do? I deceided to try something, I blocked the Floyd, placed a small piece of oak across the nut,(to prevent the nut from splitting with all the pressure I was about to apply) and strung it up with all 24W strings in all positions and tuned it up way above 440 pitch with all wound strings, and proceeded to soakdown the fretboard with water, I soaked that baby all day long, and then just let it sit for a few days, every now and then I would go over and crank the strings a little tighter, and when I was done that baby was almost dead straight, after stringing it up it was perfect,the trussrod was all the way loose, but the thing played perfect, I was so proud of myself I gave it to my nephew, who playes in a metal band(existence) his main player has been a model 6 I bought him 5 years ago,since I gave him the model 5 about six months ago he hasn't hardly touched the model 6. Just a little tech story I thought you guys might like to hear, it might help someone sometime.
      METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

While I can understand what you are saying ... I would be a bit hesitant to try something this extreme on my SL2H!

-a

Comment

I hear ya, with me it was a 100.00 guitar, and it saved me a new fretboard, or a severe fretmill at the least.
          METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

Originally posted by HoWheels
            This is also the first that I've learned Jacksons have single-action truss rods!
            They do?!?
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Well, my SL2H does at least!

-a

Comment

METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

I'm not sure what you are trying to prove... That Jackson used to use double-action truss rods? I have a 2005 SL2H, and I can loosen the nut on the end of the truss rod until it comes seperate from the truss-rod, and can be removed.

-a

Comment

My sl2ht has the same problem.
                    Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

Working...
                    X