Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Choosing a pup for a mahogany neck thru?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choosing a pup for a mahogany neck thru?

I need a bridge pup that will have some of the EMG 81's qualities?
    I know that there is no passive that will "SOUND "like a 81 but is there a passive that has that type of tightness,aggression,clarity,quietness?
    500XL?
    EVO?
    MEGADRIVE?
    DROP SONIC?
    X2N?

It will go into the bridge of a SL-2h MAH
    Last edited by savage; 05-17-2006, 10:10 AM.
    If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Out of the list, I only have the L500XL, and I think it's a good passive match to an EMG81 or 85. I have axes loaded with 81's in the bridge, but not the 85. The L500XL has more bass, so I assume it would be more like an 85.

My L500XL's are in a maple neck-thru with alder wings, and a 1995 RR1 (L500's were OEM for Jackson at that time). Both axes sound great.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP
      Out of the list, I only have the L500XL, and I think it's a good passive match to an EMG81 or 85. I have axes loaded with 81's in the bridge, but not the 85. The L500XL has more bass, so I assume it would be more like an 85.

My L500XL's are in a maple neck-thru with alder wings, and a 1995 RR1 (L500's were OEM for Jackson at that time). Both axes sound great.
      I keep hearing how great these L-500XL's are?
      and the extra bass over a 81 would be welcome
      If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

X2n.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I'd like to compare an X2N to an L500XL. It would be pretty funny if they were pretty much the same.

Comment

I tried a bunch of pickups in a Les Paul and found that the Dimarzio Evolution sounded the best in a mohagony bodied guitar. I think it sounds better than an EMG81. The Megadrive sounds good too. I would also check out the specs on a Super 3.
            It would be worth checking out the specs on the X2N, the 500XL and the Invader too.

BTW.. I have a Megadrive in my RBM1 and it kills. I think it sounds very much like the L500XL in my N2.

Comment

I use 500XLs in my guitars two of which are maple topped mahogany. I like them because I think they have a relatively broad and flat dynamic range. When played clean the guitars individuality passes through. When playing with a lot drive / distortion they remain articulate and sharp.

Comment

Working...
              X