No announcement yet.

Safest way to take guitars on a plane?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safest way to take guitars on a plane?

hey folks,
    I need to head out West for a gig, and I'm gonna need to take a few geetars with me. Any tips on how to get them out there and back without them getting smashed? I remember a few posts here awhile back where people got their guitars busted up by baggage handlers. (I seem to remember one guy got the headstock snapped off his Soloist) Anyone have any first-hand experience with traveling with thier guitars? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

ATA flight cases, and insurance!! If you can get insurance. Certain Airlines only.

Make sure to significantly relieve the pressure on the neck from the strings by de-tuning a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by GWARGHOUL
      ATA flight cases, and insurance!! If you can get insurance. Certain Airlines only.

Make sure to significantly relieve the pressure on the neck from the strings by de-tuning a lot.
      Yea +1 here. If you were taking one guitar, you could fit the guitar in an overhead compartment if it's in a Gig bag on most planes. I actually learned that trick from Joe Pass in which he had his big Jazz guitar in a leather Gig bag.

ATA and insurance! I once had a bass in a standard Fender case and when I arrived at my destination, I had a guitar that was good for firewood only. That was years ago.
      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

i've flown 2ce with guitars and never detuned anyting. and din't have any problems once i got to my destination.
        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

It takes an extra 2 minutes to detune.
          Its worth the effort.

DRAMATIC pressure changes (jets are pressurized), all enviromental variables change (temperature, humidity etc) can create problems, and unnessecary strain on the wood. Plus, if there is less or no tension on the neck, you're less likely to have a broken headsatock or neck with those gorrilas in the baggagge handling.
          Last edited by GWARGHOUL; 05-17-2006, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal65
            Yea +1 here. If you were taking one guitar, you could fit the guitar in an overhead compartment if it's in a Gig bag on most planes. I actually learned that trick from Joe Pass in which he had his big Jazz guitar in a leather Gig bag.

ATA and insurance! I once had a bass in a standard Fender case and when I arrived at my destination, I had a guitar that was good for firewood only. That was years ago.

Sucks to hear about your bass.

Truth is, most check in counters will not let you take a guitar as a carry on.
            American Airlines is the worst for this.
            Been there a few times.

It was a lot easier before 9/11.
            Guitars are weapons of mass destruction, ya know.

Comment

Put a hat and dress on it, pose it as your girlfriend (cause let's face it: IT IS!), and buy it a 1st class ticket, next to you.

I'm not Ron!

Comment

Originally posted by Racerx2k
                Put a hat and dress on it, pose it as your girlfriend (cause let's face it: IT IS!), and buy it a 1st class ticket, next to you.

I'll need to take 3 guitars with me. Should I tell the stewardess I'm a Mormon?

Comment

Only if you are flying into Utah.

Comment

Originally posted by GWARGHOUL
                    Sucks to hear about your bass.

Truth is, most check in counters will not let you take a guitar as a carry on.
                    American Airlines is the worst for this.
                    Been there a few times.

It was a lot easier before 9/11.
                    Guitars are weapons of mass destruction, ya know.
                    Yea, I remember my '76 Fender Precision Bass getting splintered on a United Airlines flight from San Jose, CA to Pittsburgh, PA. When I arrived at the terminal, then onto baggage claim, I was taken directly over to the claims department and saw what was left of my case and bass. A pile of wood and tolex covering was laying on a cart. Looks like they ran it over with a fork lift or bounced out of the luggage compartment and run over by one of those little trucks. I did get them to pay for it though.
                    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

i'm not sure why changes in air pressure would matter unless there are air pockets inside the guitar. as an fyi, i've never gotten any guitars from matt's music detuned. on the other hand, i have had this happen from personal experiences of shipping a guitar: if you detune a floyded guitar significantly, a jolt can knock the bridge off the posts and into the paint.

if it were just one guitar, i'd just fedex it to the destination. at least you could insure it. plus, it would be one less bag you'd have to haul around. just my 2 cents.
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

What are the rules for carrying-on a guitar? I'm going to be flying in the next two weeks and thought of bringing one of my Wolfies. The Wolfgang case is kinda form-fitting to the guitar and much smaller than a regular hard case. Do you think I could carry it on?
                        Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

Try it. The ticket/check in agents are the ones that give you shit. If you make it past them, TSA doesn't really give a fuck, and the airline stewardess can stash it in a coat closet on a dc-9.

But technically speaking, by FAA carry on guidelines, it would not be permitted due to size.

Comment

The last few times I flew, I just had my guitar in a gig bag and stowed it in the overhead. It was a Carvin neck-thru, so it wasn't very big. I also did self check-in, so no agents got involved.

Comment

Originally posted by SeventhSon
                              if it were just one guitar, i'd just fedex it to the destination. at least you could insure it. plus, it would be one less bag you'd have to haul around. just my 2 cents.
                              +1 with this. Baggage hand.... errr... tossers really dont give a flying shit about anything or how things are stacked.

-Nate
                              Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

Working...
                              X