Painting a bengal through a template?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting a bengal through a template?

How do you paint a yellow/white (Lynch) bengal graphic?
    Like this?:

1. paint white base
    2. wet sand
    3. paint yellow burst
    4. wet sand carefully
    5. mask and paint black stripes
    6. wet sand carefully
    7. clear coats 'till satisfied

About #3: Would you use a template to spray through? Like make a template in the shape of the body, only smaller, holding it up between your spray gun and the body surface, and spray the yellow through this "window"? This step is important for me, how exactly this is done.

The distance from the body to the template?
    The distance from the paint gun to the template?

Other ways of doing it? Thanks.

Last edited by jackson1; 05-14-2006, 07:00 PM.
    Henrik
    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Im not sure my self but I saw this item on eBay and thought it might help you
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...Pr4_PcN_BIN_IT

Comment

basically, that's it. as far as the wetsanding goes, do it only as needed, especially after you've got it striped. one thing that people often do is shoot a layer of intercoat clear between the steps, to kinda lay a barrier between the coats. kind of an extra protection, if you will.

sully

EDIT: i take it back....paint it black first, mask it off, then shoot your white and yellow.
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Since the yellow is in the middle, and the white is around the edges, wouldn't it be easier to do the yellow first, and then do the white edges? Just asking.
        Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Wouldn't you paint the black first, lay the stripe template on, then do the burst, then peel the template off to reveal the stripes?

That way the stripe template is a "positive".

Or should the stripe template be a "negative" and done last?

- E.
          Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

imo, yes.
            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
            Sully Guitars on Facebook
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by z1n
              Im not sure my self but I saw this item on eBay and thought it might help you
              http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...Pr4_PcN_BIN_IT
              thanks z1n, i've seen that eBay auction before but i am going for another bengal design.. if i ever get this project started.
              Henrik

Comment

Removing the masking tape must be pretty risky? I guess it should be removed while the paint is still wet? I can picture this to be very stressing - paint the white, quickly do a clear coat, then quickly paint the yellow burst and then remove the masking tape, hoping that the WHITE layer hasn't hardened too much...

..or am i being a sissy?
                Henrik

Comment

1) Prep, seal and prime
                  2) Paint the body yellow
                  3) Trace the body on posterboard (front and back) and cut out templates
                  4) Use rolled masking tape to attach templates to the body (do NOT tape flat)
                  5) Spray the edges of the body white ... not taping the template flat will allow overspray and give the "burst" appearance.
                  6) Tape the body and draw (or use a template) for the tigerstripes.
                  7) Cut out the tiger stripes, leaving the rest of the guitar protected by tape and paint the stripes black.
                  8) Clearcoat, compound and buff.

9) Reassemble and practice your Mr. Scary riffs!

Comment

+1

It's easier to add darker colors over lighter ones.

Comment

Model1vh2, now i remember i have seen this method described before. This is the way to do it!

About 5): i will spray the edges at an angle, like 45 degrees, compared to 0 degrees, to avoid having a haze of white paint cover the whole surface.

I remember having seen pictures of a setup with templates "hovering" over a strat body, ready to paint the sides... can't find them though.
                      Last edited by jackson1; 05-16-2006, 03:55 PM.
                      Henrik

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1
                        I remember having seen pictures of a setup with templates "hovering" over a strat body, ready to paint the sides... can't find them though.
                        That was the Project Guitar site.There are many helpful guides available there! Here's the link.

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/burst.htm

I have painted two guitars with bengal graphics. On the silver and blue JS20 bengal, I started with the "Dark" color first. I sanded the clear on the original metallic blue paint, taped it off in bands in the areas of the stripes, drew the pattern and cut the tape, and sprayed the silver. After allowing the paint to dry for a about 30 min, i removed the tape. Followed up later with a few coats of clear and let it dry for quite a few days, then wet sanded, buffed, etc.

On the black and white bengal, I did the pattern in reverse, spraying the white first. Then I covered the entire body with masking tape, drew the stripes on and cut them out. Sprayed the black, etc.........I feel the first (silver/ blue) came out the best and was the easier of the two. Whatever you choose, good luck!

Are YOU a Jackson Warrior? Join us and be all that you can be!

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1
                          Model1vh2, now i remember i have seen this method described before. This is the way to do it!

About 5): i will spray the edges at an angle, like 45 degrees, compared to 0 degrees, to avoid having a haze of white paint cover the whole surface.
                          Do both ... use the posterboard to help protect the surface of the body AND spray it at an angle.

Comment

Super helpful, thank you brothers!
                            Yeah, Brian Calvert was the one doing the burst article, his name had slipped my mind. I wonder if he's still selling Dimarzio pickups..?

Nice work Jacksonfan!
                            Henrik

Comment

Working...
                            X