Doe's the CS use Nitro or Poly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doe's the CS use Nitro or Poly?

Have a older 87 Jackson I want to refinish. I assume being a CS they use Nitro on their finish's. Doe's anyone know for SURE? Poly is a nightmare to strip.

not nitro.
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Sully why do you say that? I assume they are using some type of Laquer finish? I suppose I could put a drop of thinner inside the Trem cavity and see how it reacts. I want to strip this guitar, But if its Poly, I'll go with the Purple Metalic finish. If its laquer I'll bring it to wood and put a clear finish on it. I haven't seen ANY here done like that. and I like Natural!

Comment

87 Jackson? That's gotta be poly. I know my 86 Charvel was.
        I'm not Ron!

Comment

Ya X I think you might be right. Cause the way this has held up over the years......Just don't believe Laquer would have done that. Well...there go's the stripping idea. I'm gona check the cavity with a drop of Laquer Thinner just for my own piece of mind. I hate to shoot it when I'd really like to go with a natural finish. Its probly a really nice piece of wood under that Burgandy finish!

Comment

Originally posted by garysblues
            ...I'd really like to go with a natural finish. Its probly a really nice piece of wood under that Burgandy finish!
            You can't rule out the possibility that it has two different looking alder wings under the finish, glued on to third colored/looking maple neckthru plank (if soloist?). But that's a worst case scenario
            Henrik
            AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Originally posted by garysblues
              Sully why do you say that?
              b/c they were all about the new stuff. new materials, new ways of thinking, etc. that, and you can tell by the finishes; they hold up better than nitro finishes do.
              Sully Guitars on Google+
              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

The poly finishes also shrink over time.. any imperfections or seams SHOULD show through.. My old Rhoads showed all the seam lines
                Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

yeah, that was the old urethane finish. they switched to something thicker in the mid 80s, iirc.
                  Sully Guitars on Google+
                  Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1
                    You can't rule out the possibility that it has two different looking alder wings under the finish, glued on to third colored/looking maple neckthru plank (if soloist?). But that's a worst case scenario
                    Well, it could be either poplar or alder. Poplar would look even worse without a finish.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

No its a Strat body. So the body should either be 1 piece or a 2 piece bookmatched? Supposedly the body is Maple, which it could very well be. Just doesn't appear to be real bright to me.

Comment

Working...
                      X