Defective JT580LP, geometry off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defective JT580LP, geometry off?

Alright, Im at a loss here. This is on the new guitar I built posted over in General.

Something isnt right with this bridge... First off, when using the trem bar, it never returns to proper tuning. If I dive, itll go flat about 1/4 step, if I pull up itll go sharp the same. Tap the bar, it goes back to normal. I swithced out the posts, its a little better, and the knife edges arent worn down.

Second, its not sitting perfectly centered in the cavity... its about 2mm to the high e side. Im guessing this might be cause by the fact that its off of a new DK2 and the body is an older DR3, maybe there were slight changes, I dont know.

Third and the strangest thing Ive encountered is the springs. I setup all my guitars with 9-42's. I always use 3 springs, the claw screwed in about half way. On this guitar, I can BARELY use 3 springs. Ive got to screw the claw almost all the way out.

So what gives? Im at a loss, never had this problem before.
    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Sounds like the routing and post alignment was setup for the original trem.
    This will cause the trem to bind up and not return to zero if it's not aligned (centered) properly with the posts.
    You may have to dowel and re-drill the posts to realign the trem.

As for the springs, replace them. I've had similar issues.
    Trem springs are not all created equal... I had to try a few sets on my latest project before I got the trem to respond the way I wanted it too.
    -Rick

Comment

Try replacing the springs first. If that doesn't work you will need to check your post alignment. It might be off which would cause binding.

Comment

Ive already went through 3 sets of differnt springs (Ive got ALOT of parts laying around lol). Im going to sit the stock trem in there (JT580LP as well) and see how it sits, and Ill check the new trem for binding, but I dont believe its hitting anything.
        Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

The binding would be on the knife edges of the trem and the posts not lining up properly.
          If it's not centered properly, it will ride one side of the knife edge or even slip from one side to the other while playing.
          As for the springs, I was refering to getting a shorter set or perhaps a stiffer set. I know if the springs are to "soft", they will not be able to bring the trem back to zero. Specialy if the trem posts are out of alignment.
          Remember... it's a balancing act.
          -Rick

Comment

Working...
          X