Tuning changes with an OFR.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuning changes with an OFR.

On my King V with an OFR I'm experimenting some tuning changes. Basically, I can tune it up just right, stretch out the strings, yadda yadda, it stays in tune. But when I pull up on the bar and ease back to the neutral position then check the tuning every string will be sharp. But if I push the bar back down and ease it back to the neutral position, it'll be back in tune the way it was originally. What's up with this play? I want to try to fix so any suggestions are welcomed.

Sounds like either worn blade edges on the trem, or worn posts. One or the other isn't allowing a perfect pivoting action, so the trem is never really returning to the exact same position.
    I'm not Ron!

Comment

Or one of the post bushings may be loose in the body.

Comment

Try putting a little oil on the trem posts. Also, how many springs are you using and what gauge strings are you using?
        Why are you "easing" the whammy bar back?

Sounds to me like either:
        You have worn trem posts... (try turning them a 1/2 turn to expose a different side)
        You have worn bridge knife edges (you will need to replace the bridge)
        You have the incorrect amount of springs or the Floyd isn't set up properly
        If the Floyd is returning sharp that usually means you have too many springs and there is too much pressure on your trem posts.

We might be able to fix you up with changing the amount of springs and how they are positioned in the trem cavity.
        Let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable
          If the Floyd is returning sharp that usually means you have too many springs and there is too much pressure on your trem posts.
          Nah, I don't think it would be too many springs. Most of my Floyded guitars through the years, I've used 4 or 5 springs on because I liked the tighter feel it would bring to the Floyd. Never had any problem with it not returning to pitch right after using the bar.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Racerx2k
            Sounds like either worn blade edges on the trem, or worn posts. One or the other isn't allowing a perfect pivoting action, so the trem is never really returning to the exact same position.
            Originally posted by Sunbane
            Or one of the post bushings may be loose in the body.
            I'll check these out tonight.

Originally posted by jgcable
            Try putting a little oil on the trem posts. Also, how many springs are you using and what gauge strings are you using?
            Why are you "easing" the whammy bar back?
            10-52 (light top heavy bottom), Drop C tuning. 4 springs, with this configuration
            ========
            ========
            Empty
            ========
            ========

By "easing back" the bar, I'm trying to say that I'm not abusing the whammy, in other words, I'm not pulling it back as far as I can and then letting go. Just light tricks on the whammy, other than some diving down (but that doesn't change the tuning)
            Last edited by Inearthed; 05-10-2006, 06:00 PM.

Comment

My tip is when I have Floyd up/down sticking tuning problems are to switch to 9-42 strings, grease or oil the knife edges/pivot studs & make sure your floyd nut is clamping all the strings by divebombing & bringing back up while holding the strings past the nut you should feel no movement on the tuners to nut part of the strings (no slippage), & I go with 2 or 3 springs on the floyd w/some adjustment to the spring claw.........

Comment

Working...
              X